Swan Off Course?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RGS

This Mute Swan was swimming at OKC's Lake Hefner yesterday. This is NOT a normal bird there - it's either an escapee or one that is badly confused as to where it's supposed to be. On an afternoon of photographing eagles, sandpipers, and ducks at the lake, this beauty was an unexpected treat.

2304 -  174 D.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This Mute Swan was swimming at OKC's Lake Hefner yesterday. This is NOT a normal bird there - it's either an escapee or one that is badly confused as to where it's supposed to be. On an afternoon of photographing eagles, sandpipers, and ducks at the lake, this beauty was an unexpected treat.

View attachment 58788
Nice shot. Mutes are not supposed to be anywhere in North America given they're an introduced, invasive species. You might be getting some new residents :)

According to the caption in this article https://www.birdadvisors.com/swans-oklahoma/
"Mute swans are an introduced species in Oklahoma and although they are not very common here, they (sic) have been occasional sightings in the state all year".

(Before any grammar fanatics correct me, I realize when I add sic to identify their error I am supposed to put it in brackets, not parentheses. However brackets on a website often introduce special coding to the program and I didn't want to risk an unintentional coding instruction.)

Back