Taking images of a struggling bird - a question regarding Photography Ethics

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Roughly a week ago, right after sunrise, I arrived at the Dal Lake in Srinagar, Kashmir, India, in search of Little Bitterns. On the lookout, my local bird guide pointed me to a Black Kite, entangled in water lilies. The moment I spotted the bird, I jumped into action and gave it a few bursts, assuming the bird might free itself any time. Honestly, my first thought was, well, that's a great opportunity to take action shots. A few moments later, my brain told me "taking pictures of a bird struggling for its life is a no-go", because it then became clear to me, that the bird, despite its efforts, most likely won't be able to free itself. Hence, my question re "photography ethics". Any comments or what defines "photography ethics" ? Thx !

If it is a natural event and you had no hand in the actual event and it would have happened with or without you being there* than there are no ethical limits or obligations.

If you had a hand in the event or other humans had (e.g: bird caught in a fishing net) then you do.

*to the best of your knowledge and ability to evaluate the situation.

Yes, it's a natural event and it boils down to personal opinion, but aren't there any "moral or ethical limits" ?
I guess there are “moral or ethical limits” which in my view become a personal decision. There are thousands of nature documentaries showing predation events and animals struggling in their natural environment and these documentaries are generally rated for public viewing. For me I shoot for the beauty of nature so wouldn’t shoot a struggling bird yet I have taken images of raptors predating on their preferred ‘food’ type. E.g Ospreys taking fish. If I did decide to photograph a struggling animal and decided to post it I would post a warning so a potential viewer knows what they might see and can then decide to view the image or not.

I guess my personal opinion is this: if the scene is entirely natural with no human involvement there is no moral/ethical duty to do anything because it would have happened with or without a human observer. If the scene is caused by human disturbance (caught in plastic, etc.) then I’d free the animal to the best of my ability because it was an “unnatural” situation. Although I may take a pic to demonstrate humanity’s impact on wildlife.

Back