Tamron 28-75 now in Z Mount

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MrFotoFool

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 G2 was announced in a Z mount for Nikon mirrorless. (It has already been available in Sony E mount). What is odd is that Nikon has their own branded lens based on this design with the same specs, so the two lenses appear nearly identical to me. Although the Nikon normally sells for two hundred bucks more, it currently has a two hundred dollar rebate in USA making them the same price at the moment. (Note the Tamron in Z mount is a hundred bucks more than the E mount, or two hundred bucks more with the current one hundred dollar rebate on the Sony). And to continue a rant I have posted elsewhere, neither the Tamron nor the Nikon have an AF/MF switch on the lens barrel which is beyond my understanding.

it’s certainly very interesting, although i will say it appears to be a good thing that nikon is letting tamron release this lens under their licensing (assumed) since there have been noises previously about nikon only allowing lenses that were differentiated from their offerings (although maybe the rebranded lens doesn’t count?)

also the rumored upcoming sigma suggests nikon has eased their stance on differentiation perhaps

The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 G2 was announced in a Z mount for Nikon mirrorless. (It has already been available in Sony E mount). What is odd is that Nikon has their own branded lens based on this design with the same specs, so the two lenses appear nearly identical to me. Although the Nikon normally sells for two hundred bucks more, it currently has a two hundred dollar rebate in USA making them the same price at the moment. (Note the Tamron in Z mount is a hundred bucks more than the E mount, or two hundred bucks more with the current one hundred dollar rebate on the Sony). And to continue a rant I have posted elsewhere, neither the Tamron nor the Nikon have an AF/MF switch on the lens barrel which is beyond my understanding.
Nikon is the G1, you can find reviews about 2 years back comparing G1 and G2 but the short story is that G2 has meaningful optical improvements over the G1. Rumor at launch was that the Nikon version (G1) benefits from better AF and IBIS performance from Nikon developing the firmware but I don't think it was ever claimed by Nikon or substantiated.

We'll have to see how the MTF pans out. My major criticism of the Nikon (G1) version was that of corner sharpness. If one didn't need the f/2.8, the 24-120 provided greater utility and equal if not better sharpness.

Back