TC with 200-500?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KCPhoto

Supporting Member
Marketplace
What is the general consensus...if there is such a thing in a forum :)? I have both a D7200 and D810. Looking for how well AF still works and IQ in real-life application. It is easy to find tripod test targets. It is also easy to find arguments on the internet. I am looking for examples and just general advice.

I tired it once, but was wildly unimpressed in the filed. IQ was OK, but the TC slowed down the AF so much that I could eat lunch while the lens moved through the focus range :)

I kid of course, but it is painfully slow. I'd only use that combo if I just didn't have any choice (i.e. it was just too heavy of a crop without the TC).

I tired it once, but was wildly unimpressed in the filed. IQ was OK, but the TC slowed down the AF so much that I could eat lunch while the lens moved through the focus range :)

I kid of course, but it is painfully slow. I'd only use that combo if I just didn't have any choice (i.e. it was just too heavy of a crop without the TC).
I'm guessing that was with a DSLR body. How much worse would that combo be on a Z body?

I'm guessing that was with a DSLR body. How much worse would that combo be on a Z body?
Not sure, but running the focus range on a Z with an adapter takes twice as long with an F mount lens as it does on a DSLR. So, I'm guessing pretty bad. Not unusable for stationary subjects, but not fun for action.

Also, not sure if you have the 200-500 yet or when you need it, but Nikon is supposed to release a 100-400 and a 200-600 for the Z series next year that will probably preform much better than the 200-500 on the Z cameras. Just a thought :)

Not sure, but running the focus range on a Z with an adapter takes twice as long with an F mount lens as it does on a DSLR. So, I'm guessing pretty bad. Not unusable for stationary subjects, but not fun for action.

Also, not sure if you have the 200-500 yet or when you need it, but Nikon is supposed to release a 100-400 and a 200-600 for the Z series next year that will probably preform much better than the 200-500 on the Z cameras. Just a thought :)
I have the 200-500mm F-mount. If the Z 200-600mm is affordable the 200-500mm will be traded in for the Z lens.

Thank you Steve. I figured as much and think most replies will agree with you. I haven't even used large primes, but I feel the AF slowness of this thing pretty often without the loss of a stop due to TC. I love the IQ of my 200-500 for the money I have in it, but AF....eh, a lot to be desired there. Of course, I get to see better and better results putting to use the stuff I learn in your Secrets to AF + Metering and Exposure books. This is one passion that you can certainly see the results from practice.

Back