Telephoto lens query

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm going to India on a safari holiday I'm taking my Nikon D800 and 24/120 lens as close-up/walkaround kit. However, I want to take another body and lens for distance shots. Taking two cameras means that I won't waste time changing lens and getting dust in the camera in the process. Besides the FPS rate on the D800 is not brilliant. To this end I've purchased a D500 body and need to know which lens to pair it with. I already have a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens. However, I've read excellent reports about the Nikon 200-500 and wonder if I should get that and sell the Sigma which I only use at airshows and occasionally for looking at the moon. I would very much appreciate your advice and comments. Thank you.

I'm going to India on a safari holiday I'm taking my Nikon D800 and 24/120 lens as close-up/walkaround kit. However, I want to take another body and lens for distance shots. Taking two cameras means that I won't waste time changing lens and getting dust in the camera in the process. Besides the FPS rate on the D800 is not brilliant. To this end I've purchased a D500 body and need to know which lens to pair it with. I already have a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary lens. However, I've read excellent reports about the Nikon 200-500 and wonder if I should get that and sell the Sigma which I only use at airshows and occasionally for looking at the moon. I would very much appreciate your advice and comments. Thank you.
I've shot both the Sigma 150-600mm Contemporary and the Nikon 200-500mm lenses. Both are really good lenses. If I were buying new and had to choose between those two I'd probably (and did) choose the Nikon. That said, there's nothing wrong with the Sigma and since you already own it I don't see any reason to spend a lot of money on the Nikon unless there's something you're not happy with your copy of the Sigma 150-600mm. Either can deliver great images on a D500.

If you've got money to burn you won't go wrong with the Nikon 200-500mm on a DSLR but I personally wouldn't spend that cash if I already had a good copy of the Sigma 150-600mm.

The best I've seen from Nikon's 200-500 is slightly better than what I've seen from the Sigma 150-600mm C.

It is also slighlty faster to AF and that f5.6 actually makes a difference over f6.3

Finally, I've found that the Sigma's OIS is a bit iffy at 10fps while tracking BiFs.

That being said, I've shot 4 Sigmas (2 rental, 2 mine) and 3 Nikkor 200-500. The Sigmas were pretry much all the same while the Nikkors varied from somewhat worse to slightly better (much more sample variation) ...
The Sigma Is visibly longer when shooting closer subjects (less focus breathing and 600mm vs 500mm) ...

And I'd call the Sigma plus Sigma 1.4x APO TC usable at f11 on a bright day, while I wouldn't call the 200-500mm f5.6 usable with either the Sigma or Nikon 1.4x TCs.

So, unless you were shooting a lot of BiFs, I'd save my money and go with the Sigma.

The 200-500 is a heavy lens to carry around on a trip. I don't know the Sigma. If it's lighter, I'd opt for that. Otherwise, I would be tempted to pick up a used Nikon 500 pf. It's a great lens and amazingly light for a long lens. FWIW

Back