Tell about your personal project in photography

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks. I use almost exclusively wide area S, L, C1, and C2. For static/slow moving subjects wide S or C2(sized to 1x1). For BIF wide L or C1(Sized larger than the L box). I tried using 3D early on and wasn't impressed. Now with a couple generations of FW updates I plan to experiment with it again to use in "hand off" mode after first grabbing focus with one of the wide areas. Once in a while if I'm shooting some really erratic BIF(like swallows) against a really clean BG I'll try Auto Area. Results have been hit and miss.
Thanks, did you use wide area for the otters in the water?
The reason I ask is that I’ve found when trying to shoot birds skimming / running across the water the focus is very hit & miss & sometimes fixes on the water, I was just curious if you’ve also experienced this?

I don't have/work on what I'd describe as "projects" but my definition may be different due to my career. Rather I'd describe what I do as pursuing "perfect" images for various species in my mind's eye. Or re-creating past images that were near perfect content but had technical issues or some minor issue. But I don't pursue those things to the exclusion of other subjects.

One example for me is my annual pursuit of a perfect sea otter image. Every summer we make half a dozen week long boating trips on Prince William Sound. One of those weeks each year is a (more or less)dedicated photo tour. We always visit a bay that has historically had a high population of sea otters and particularly moms w/pups. Last week we made that trip. This year it wasn't very productive due to a combination of unusually low number of animals and poor shooting conditions. But we persevere...

The perfect (northern)sea otter image in my mind's eye:

1) Is actually an image of perfectly smooth/colorful water with an otter passing through it.
2) If it's a mom with pup on here belly they must both be making eye contact(both eyes) with the camera
3) If an individual animal must have good eye contact and one rear foot/flipper should be above the surface with water dripping off
4) Must have a great display of whiskers and perfectly sharp.
5) A great reflection is a bonus but at minimum needs to be a single reflection(i.e. not multiple across the tops of waves/ripples)
6) Needs to be at a low POV but not so low that it brings the horizon into the image.
7) Must have enough pixels on target to allow printing (near)life size(i.e. about four foot horizontal dimension)

Here is a near perfect shot but was shot years ago and has a few technical issues. Looks great in this format but isn't high rez enough for my print criteria. If I could to re-create this one with current day equipment/skills I'd be content(yeah right...).

p3383331116-4.jpg

And here is the best I managed this past week. Great eye contact, good whiskers, got the flipper out of the water. But the water is too rippled in FG, wake is too prominent, not enough bow wave, etc, etc.

View attachment 63348
I actually did this recently! I had different requirements though. I just wanted a low angle with no distractions in the BG, and the otter doing something, not just gazing at me. I am still trying for a shot of one with a pup though, yours is amazing! Also, mine are not full body shots, although I got some bull body shots recently but haven't edited them yet.
DSC_0503s.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

DSC_0902s.jpg
DSC_0938s.jpg

Thanks, did you use wide area for the otters in the water?
The reason I ask is that I’ve found when trying to shoot birds skimming / running across the water the focus is very hit & miss & sometimes fixes on the water, I was just curious if you’ve also experienced this?
Yes, wide S with subject detection on. There's water and then there's water. Smooth water like in these images doesn't bother the AF at all. However in my experience shooting BIF over water I've had less issues with the Z9 than I did with group AF area on DSLR.

I read something about this a few months ago that this was an issue for the Z9. So I tested Z9 and A1 under identical conditions with pelicans flying along the surf over choppy/rippled water. The Z9 actually did a better job. But... they both did fine as long as the bird filled a reasonable amount of the frame. I'd estimate that when the bird filled 10-15 percent of frame for the Z9 and 20 percent of frame for the A1 they had little problem maintaining focus lock.

I actually did this recently! I had different requirements though. I just wanted a low angle with no distractions in the BG, and the otter doing something, not just gazing at me. I am still trying for a shot of one with a pup though, yours is amazing! Also, mine are not full body shots, although I got some bull body shots recently but haven't edited them yet.View attachment 63574
View attachment 63577View attachment 63578
I've got photos of them doing about everything that they do. IMO they're never quite as interesting as it was watching them at the time. I think video is necessary to really show some of their behaviors. That's why I settled on a well done image of an otter just being an otter as the ultimate still photo. Although capturing images of them out of the water can be pretty interesting.

I tend to be project-oriented in my photography, some long-term and others short-term projects. The most involved project I am on is documenting the life and behaviors of wood ducks. I've been on this one off and on for 15 years. Fortunately I have wood ducks that visit and nest on my backyard pond. My plan is to eventually do an ebook on wood ducks. Two other short-term projects involved obtaining combination sharp/blur images of moths and hummingbirds. I took over 7000 images of moths before I got the image I was happy with.
View attachment 63294View attachment 63295View attachment 63296View attachment 63297
Amazing shots of the wood ducks! I would love that as a project but not enough of them around here to make it work!

I posted a few pictures of European Bee-eaters in a Presentation Forum here:

and found out that @StefanSC is trying to get the same shot (or almost the same 😉 ) So, we both have a similar personal project.

A personal Project for me means that I have a vision, a picture in my mind and trying to get that picture. It is my goal.
The criteria like the following: the right interesting pose (it must tell a story), good and not very harsh light, background far away from the subject and preferably dark, the picture must be sharp and 3000px in a long side.
Thanks to Stefan, he gave me a few ideas about bee-eaters behaviour.

@raptor photo has a personal project of getting a raptor pursuing a songbird or duck.

And @12markus12 has apersonal project to photograph a budger but he mentioned he hasn't found one yet but had an encounter with a fox. 🦊
Well, in Africa it will be probably an easier task becasue honey badgers are used to steal some food from self-drivers ;-) But to see one budger in Europe (so, European one, not Honey ;-) is not easy! I also didn't see one.
But I also saw a nice female fox while photographing bee-eaters in 2018! 😅

What are your personal photographic project at the moment?
Budgers, Bee-eaters, Raptors? Which species are you looking for? And what are you working on? Tell us about your progress and difficulties.
Elena, I enjoyed your photos of the Bee eaters! I would say you are real close to getting the photo you want. I find that when I come back from a great opportunity I find that often I am initially disappointed with my results but don’t start hitting the delete button too hard until the next day when sometimes I then think that some of these images are pretty good. I do like this thread as I also like the idea of making a project out of a particular bird. (Maybe Snail Kites, Crested Caracaras, Black skimmers, or Oystercatchers) but again the access is not easy and I am still working too much.

Yes, wide S with subject detection on. There's water and then there's water. Smooth water like in these images doesn't bother the AF at all. However in my experience shooting BIF over water I've had less issues with the Z9 than I did with group AF area on DSLR.

I read something about this a few months ago that this was an issue for the Z9. So I tested Z9 and A1 under identical conditions with pelicans flying along the surf over choppy/rippled water. The Z9 actually did a better job. But... they both did fine as long as the bird filled a reasonable amount of the frame. I'd estimate that when the bird filled 10-15 percent of frame for the Z9 and 20 percent of frame for the A1 they had little problem maintaining focus lock.
Thanks NF 👍👍

Back