terminology tutorial

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jeffnles1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Fellow photogs,
I have been messing around with video some lately. I started with a Sony RX10iv which has done well for me. I just got a Canon R7 which seems to do really good video out of the box.

Here is my question: Are there good tutorials or articles that explain all the cryptic terminology used in video?
I think I understand 4K 24 (I think that means the video is shot in 4K resolution and 24 frames per second.
I'm not sure I know what 4K vs 8K vs 1080P really means.
Then I hear things like C-Log and other log types. I assume that is similar to RAW in stills that it is a different and more robust method to capture images? Maybe I'm not even close here.
Color Grading, 10 bit, etc.

I've spent the last 40 years as a stills photographer and understand much of the lingo, or at least enough of it to do what I need to do with a stills camera. I would like to get there with video. Unfortunately, I do not have 40 years left. I would be 102 in 40 years and seriously doubt if I will be out shooting video then. I hope so but reality sets in.

Any tutorials where I can see what these things mean, when I would use one vs. the other and why I would use one vs the other would be helpful.

Thanks
Jeff

Hi, so hopefully I can help a little bit. I just found these articles and it looks like it helps explain in layman terms

https://www.vdocipher.com/blog/video-resolution/

Also if you want a book, highly recommend cinematography theory and practice by Blaine Brown, focus is more on narrative features but the concepts still apply to wildlife cinematography.

Hi, so hopefully I can help a little bit. I just found these articles and it looks like it helps explain in layman terms

https://www.vdocipher.com/blog/video-resolution/

Also if you want a book, highly recommend cinematography theory and practice by Blaine Brown, focus is more on narrative features but the concepts still apply to wildlife cinematography.
thank you. I will bookmark this article.

Fellow photogs,
I have been messing around with video some lately. I started with a Sony RX10iv which has done well for me. I just got a Canon R7 which seems to do really good video out of the box.

Here is my question: Are there good tutorials or articles that explain all the cryptic terminology used in video?
I think I understand 4K 24 (I think that means the video is shot in 4K resolution and 24 frames per second.
I'm not sure I know what 4K vs 8K vs 1080P really means.
Then I hear things like C-Log and other log types. I assume that is similar to RAW in stills that it is a different and more robust method to capture images? Maybe I'm not even close here.
Color Grading, 10 bit, etc.

I've spent the last 40 years as a stills photographer and understand much of the lingo, or at least enough of it to do what I need to do with a stills camera. I would like to get there with video. Unfortunately, I do not have 40 years left. I would be 102 in 40 years and seriously doubt if I will be out shooting video then. I hope so but reality sets in.

Any tutorials where I can see what these things mean, when I would use one vs. the other and why I would use one vs the other would be helpful.

Thanks
Jeff
Mzed has an excelent tutorial titled Filmmaking for Photographer with Philip Bloom as well as many other basic to advance lessons. I'm subscribed but I think you can purchase individual lessons.

What helped me to understand my choices was to build a chart in excel so I could see all of the possible tone modes, resolutions, bitrates, storage requirements and other settings possible with each file type, from H.264 8-bit to N-RAW 12-bit. It helped me to understand what options I had available in each file type.

What helped me to understand my choices was to build a chart in excel so I could see all of the possible tone modes, resolutions, bitrates, storage requirements and other settings possible with each file type, from H.264 8-bit to N-RAW 12-bit. It helped me to understand what options I had available in each file type.
That is a great idea!

Back