Thanks for this forum question about card readers

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

First of all Steve what a great idea. I live in Northern Canada , no camera store , few photographers and no club. This site will be an invaluable asset . Your book secrets of the Nikon auto focus system has answered a lot of my questions already. I look forward to the expertise and experience of our members. First of all two of my flash card readers no longer work . They are multi card readers. One for cf and sd doesnt work at all , and another for xqd and sd does, . same as mac book and ipad . The ipad works with the apple sd reader. Has any of you experienced that . MY Mac Book and ipad have the most up to date software . Any fixes . I haven't been able to try connecting the camera to the mac as I have to find the cable.
And is these a way to upload photos from my mac without light room. Keep up the good work and I hope members share as much as they can
Best regards
MIke

Mike, how are things in the Great White North? Beautiful country. It is hard to diagnose your exact problem from a distance, but a few possibilities: it is of course possible that your card readers have simply worn out, but since two of them are acting up, that might indicate that the connecting cable(s) are starting to fail. If the cable is permanently affixed to the card reader, not a lot you can do. If it can be replaced, consider ordering some new ones. I keep a handful of extra Lightning, Thunderbolt and USB-C cables around because they can indeed fail, and because I tend to misplace them. Inexpensive third-party cables are available from macsales.com and on Amazon. Anker is a good quality third-party brand that is not expensive. You can also get, for under $10, tiny little card readers that plug directly into your Macbook's USB slot. Great for travel. Unfortunately, the newer Macbooks do not have a USB slot, requiring yet another adapter. If yours is an older model, it might still have a proper USB slot. I also bought a couple of extra computer to camera cables because I lose those, too.

You can try cleaning the contacts on your memory cards very gently with a pencil eraser. Can't hurt.

These are just wild guesses, no guarantees. It is possible something is a bit haywire within your Macbook, but that is unlikely. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member of the forum will have better advice.

You asked about uploading photos from your Mac without Lightroom. To where are you trying to upload them?

Good luck.

Mike, how are things in the Great White North? Beautiful country. It is hard to diagnose your exact problem from a distance, but a few possibilities: it is of course possible that your card readers have simply worn out, but since two of them are acting up, that might indicate that the connecting cable(s) are starting to fail. If the cable is permanently affixed to the card reader, not a lot you can do. If it can be replaced, consider ordering some new ones. I keep a handful of extra Lightning, Thunderbolt and USB-C cables around because they can indeed fail, and because I tend to misplace them. Inexpensive third-party cables are available from macsales.com and on Amazon. Anker is a good quality third-party brand that is not expensive. You can also get, for under $10, tiny little card readers that plug directly into your Macbook's USB slot. Great for travel. Unfortunately, the newer Macbooks do not have a USB slot, requiring yet another adapter. If yours is an older model, it might still have a proper USB slot. I also bought a couple of extra computer to camera cables because I lose those, too.

You can try cleaning the contacts on your memory cards very gently with a pencil eraser. Can't hurt.

These are just wild guesses, no guarantees. It is possible something is a bit haywire within your Macbook, but that is unlikely. Perhaps a more knowledgeable member of the forum will have better advice.

You asked about uploading photos from your Mac without Lightroom. To where are you trying to upload them?

Good luck.
I was asking about posting to this forum

You don't need the Lightroom preset to post an image. According to Steve's guidelines, a horizontal image should be a maximum of 1200 pixels wide, a vertical image no more than 800 pixels high, no larger than 1 MB in size. Five images max at one time. You should be able to adjust your images to those guidelines with any simple photo editor. Then when you are ready to upload it, click on the small rectangular box with the mountain in it that appears in the menu just above your text area (that icon is in the fourth section from the left), and it will let you drag your image to the box that appears or navigate to it on your computer.

You don't need the Lightroom preset to post an image. According to Steve's guidelines, a horizontal image should be a maximum of 1200 pixels wide, a vertical image no more than 800 pixels high, no larger than 1 MB in size. Five images max at one time. You should be able to adjust your images to those guidelines with any simple photo editor. Then when you are ready to upload it, click on the small rectangular box with the mountain in it that appears in the menu just above your text area (that icon is in the fourth section from the left), and it will let you drag your image to the box that appears or navigate to it on your computer.
Thanks very much I really appreciate the help.

Hi Mike,
BirdDogdad gave you great advice. I use very inexpensive sd cardreader that plug directly into the USB port. Unfortunately there are no inexpensive XQD readers. As far as posting, I do it directly from the photo app on my iPad. I Edit on my computer and send it over to the iPad. Sometimes I’ll do the editing directly on the iPad if it involves just minor tweaks.

Back