The beautiful ugly warthog

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Callie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Oh boy! These guys are so awesomely ugly and yet so suave and debonair! I just love shooting them whenever I get the chance!
Images from Kruger NP Mkhuze NR and Mokala NP
02638W D800 3420.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

03039W D4 8258.jpg

02864W D500 2881.jpg

00998W D4 9008.jpg

01302W D4 3697.jpg

01769W D750 3159.jpg

Last edited:
Nasty tusks. I guess the Leopards asked for bacon for breakfast so they all came for a drink?
Great set of images. I much prefer these to our Javalina’s that destroy everyone’s cactus.
Have you ever had warthog meat?

Great shots!
Thanks Woody
Love those head shots! Especially #2! On my trip to Botswana, one of my 2 favorite images taken on the trip was of a wart hog! Fleeing in a cloud of dust!
Thanks Karen - That is one very nice young male in your image!
Excellent set Callie, just amazing.
Thanks, Louis!
Nasty tusks. I guess the Leopards asked for bacon for breakfast so they all came for a drink?
Great set of images. I much prefer these to our Javalina’s that destroy everyone’s cactus.
Have you ever had warthog meat?
Thank you - I actually grew up with them on the farm but we were into kudu and springbok with the occasional gemsbok.
Awesome shots Callie! I think Warthogs are unique and extremely photogenic!
Thanks Roy. They can be very nice models. Love it when they run away with their tails turned into aerials!

Amazing looking beasts. Do we know if those extra pairs of bumps are proto horns? Nice shots, Callie!
Thanks, Steven. The bumps are warts, three sets on the male, two on the female.
Warthogs are sparsely haired with a long and bristly mane down the neck to the middle of the back. The legs are relatively longer than most pigs. Males have 3 pairs of “warts,” 1 near the eyes, 1 on the snout and 1 pair on the lower jaw. The female's two pair of warts are smaller, with none on the snout.
Males often have a large, dark oily stain underneath their eyes, the result of a glandular excretion. A conspicuous white goatee is a further characteristic of a female warthog. The tusks of the female are thinner and mostly more curved. The most obvious indication of age in warthogs is the appearance of the top warts.

As usual, a great set, Callie, I especially like the last shot. Gotta respect their toughness, if not their tusks.
Thanks, Kirk, yeah, she was still a relatively young sow. The males can have massive tusks.

Thanks, Steven. The bumps are warts, three sets on the male, two on the female.
Warthogs are sparsely haired with a long and bristly mane down the neck to the middle of the back. The legs are relatively longer than most pigs. Males have 3 pairs of “warts,” 1 near the eyes, 1 on the snout and 1 pair on the lower jaw. The female's two pair of warts are smaller, with none on the snout.
Males often have a large, dark oily stain underneath their eyes, the result of a glandular excretion. A conspicuous white goatee is a further characteristic of a female warthog. The tusks of the female are thinner and mostly more curved. The most obvious indication of age in warthogs is the appearance of the top warts.

Thanks, Kirk, yeah, she was still a relatively young sow. The males can have massive tusks.
Thanks for the info. I dug a bit further with that prompting. Not actually warts (of course) they protect the animal. Couldn't find (I'm too impatient to make a good reasearcher LOL) anything that suggested they were the remnants of ancestral horns, but they are considered "horn-like organs." Anyway, I think they're brilliant looking beasts; certainly through your camera lens!

Back