The files are on a volume that does not support trash. How to resolve

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rene

Hi all if a sudden I’m not able to put raw files in my trash. My Lightroom library sits on a 7tb external SSD connected to the usb c port of my Mac Studio. How can I resolve this? I know it has to do with the Mac operating system (Sonoma) but I’m not much of a tec guru so any advice appreciated
Rene

Last edited:
Hi all if a sudden I’m not able to put raw files in my trash. My Lightroom library sits on a 7tb external SSD connected to the usb c port of my Mac Studio. How can I resolve this? I know it has to do with the Mac operating system (Sonoma) but I’m not much of a tec guru so any advice appreciated
Rene
Are these files that are within LR or are they actual files in the finder itself

It is possible the files are locked. To unlock on the mac go to finder and do a "Get Info" check on each file. If checked, you cannot delete. To fix this, simply uncheck the "Locked" box and you should be able to delete the files. This may have to be done one file at a time since Finder opens a separate item for each file. If that is not the cause, hopefully someone else will have a solution.

Last edited:
No I don’t think it is a LR issue. It worked fine before the OS upgrade. Thanks for the reply nevertheless I will do a bit more digging
Try holding the option key or the command key down as you attempt to trash them. Also, in the get info box, check privileges at the bottom. Another way is select file and then hold down the command and option key at the same time and hit delete key

Reactions: JAS
Mac OS is actually a Unix-like system. It si posible thta you like a normal user don't have permissions to delete the file. Sometimes I use the Terminal to set the permission and delete the files but in the newer OS it is a bit more complicated and you probably need to go to rescue mode and set permission for the whole disk. I did it for my M2. There are some instructions on internet. I am sure you have already found them.

Hi files in lightroom
Lightroom does not store the image files. Instead, the LR catalog is a database that points to your image files. The Lightroom Queen (https://www.lightroomqueen.com/) is one website that can give you more information, if you want. However, you can use the Mac OS Finder to look at your external SSD. Pick out a file name you wanted to delete and see if you can do so (move it to the trash) in Finder. If not, get a friend who knows Macs to come over and help you out. This does not sound like a LR issue.

New to this forum and with recent hardware upgrade moved to Adobe Subscription so new to LRc. I ran into the above OP issue, suddenly, after work fine till today. I got the volume does not support trash notice. I tried all the suggestions on different sites given in an internet search on the topic. Not thing worked so I tested deleting unwanted files from the volume in question directly from Finder, and it worked fine....so no it is not an OS, formatting, permissions. or disk full problem - for me, as none applied. After trashing the files I went into the same folder within Lightroom and after moving to the said files in the catalog it gave me the expected File not found in develop mode. So I highlighted those files and clicked remove from "Lightroom". After this I tried to delete other files with the option "Remove from Lightroom and Delete from disk".......and all is working as expected again, file were moved to trash and then i emptied from the trash. This got everything working again, no warning message. For me but I don't know if it is a lasting solution. From my opinion, with computer experience including professional since 1982 it "appears" to be a Lightroom problem given my tests and results.

Just an update - I repeated my method of correcting this error with another o my drives report it does not support Trash. Steps to fix.
1. Identify a NEF file which you wish to to delete by its file name.
2. Navigate outside LR to the folder via Finder and locate the the named file.
3. Delete the file within Finder to the Trash.
4. Return to LR and navigate to the flie name
5. LR will now report "Flie Not Found" click on Remove File/Delete From Disk
6. Drive now excepts files for the trash.

Barry

Rene
I have had that problem recently. I discovered that if I go to my external hard drive and manually delete a file from there and then empty trash, the delete function works in Lightroom Classic again. I hope this help someone, as it took me a lot of trying various things to find a solution.

Just an update - I repeated my method of correcting this error with another o my drives report it does not support Trash. Steps to fix.
1. Identify a NEF file which you wish to to delete by its file name.
2. Navigate outside LR to the folder via Finder and locate the the named file.
3. Delete the file within Finder to the Trash.
4. Return to LR and navigate to the flie name
5. LR will now report "Flie Not Found" click on Remove File/Delete From Disk
6. Drive now excepts files for the trash.

Barry
Barry - cannot tell you how grateful I am for your guidance. Have been using LR for years, and this problem pops up occasionally. My normal fix was to copy my backup drive, clean the drive, and then reload the data. This is so easy - nuts, but it works!

Back