The focus box on my Z7ii has quit turning green when focus is acquired in AF-C. Is there a setting for it?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JDG Photo

Supporting Member
Marketplace
The focus boxes for my Z7 and Z9 turn green when focus is acquired in AF-C. I remember that the Z7ii did also until recently. Now it only turns green in AF-S.

My Z7ii has a red box in AF-C regardless of focus. AF-S has the confirming green box. I think this is how it suppose to work.
On the Z9 the other day, I was unintentionally in AFS shooting a swimming event. I discovered it and switch to AFC. I do not know how this happened since there is no external switch as was the case with DSLRs. Noticing a green v red box will help prevent this down the road.

It sounds like you are saying Nikon mirrorless don't give any focus confirmation in af-c no matter which focus area is used?

Just wondering why Nikon does that. On Canon the confirmation is green in one shot (afs) and blue in servo (afc). Orange in either mode if no focus confirmation.

The focus boxes for my Z7 and Z9 turn green when focus is acquired in AF-C. I remember that the Z7ii did also until recently. Now it only turns green in AF-S.
On the Z9, the setting A11 Focus Point Display allows for setting AF-C In Focus Display to ON. There may be a similar setting for the Z7. I do not have a Z7 to check.
I hope this helps. Bill

On the Z9, the setting A11 Focus Point Display allows for setting AF-C In Focus Display to ON. There may be a similar setting for the Z7. I do not have a Z7 to check.
I hope this helps. Bill

So in that case does it change color to tell you you are in focus in af-c?

My Z7ii has a red box in AF-C regardless of focus. AF-S has the confirming green box. I think this is how it suppose to work.
This is a recognised shortcoming in the camera. It doesn’t give this confirmation of focus, in AFC, only sharpness of image and option of zoom allocated to a button. It does for AFS, all as Robert says.

This is a recognised shortcoming in the camera. It doesn’t give this confirmation of focus, in AFC, only sharpness of image and option of zoom allocated to a button. It does for AFS, all as Robert says.

Does the z9 give the confirmation in af-c?

That's normal operation for a Nikon mirrorless, pretty much the same for a Nikon DSLR. In AF-S mode (Single-Servo) the green box or the beep in a DSLR confirms focus lock to a fixed distance. In AF-C mode (Continuous-Servo) focus doesn't lock to one and only one setting as it tracks distance changes and there's no 'lock' confirmation via a beep or change in focus box color.

Other vendors might handle this differently and show a 'lock' when the focus is successfully tracking but Nikon hasn't historically taken that approach.

That's normal operation for a Nikon mirrorless, pretty much the same for a Nikon DSLR. In AF-S mode (Single-Servo) the green box or the beep in a DSLR confirms focus lock to a fixed distance. In AF-C mode (Continuous-Servo) focus doesn't lock to one and only one setting as it tracks distance changes and there's no 'lock' confirmation via a beep or change in focus box color.

Other vendors might handle this differently and show a 'lock' when the focus is successfully tracking but Nikon hasn't historically taken that approach.
Dave is spot on. Since AF-C is constantly adjusting focus, you will not get a focus confirmation.

It sounds like you are saying Nikon mirrorless don't give any focus confirmation in af-c no matter which focus area is used?

Just wondering why Nikon does that. On Canon the confirmation is green in one shot (afs) and blue in servo (afc). Orange in either mode if no focus confirmation.
That is not what I am saying. I have an issue with my Z7ii not showing it. My Z7 and Z9 do show it.

I think that in AF-C the camera is always focusing so it never actually locks unlike when in AF-S. My Nikon dSLRs never beeped to confirm focus in AF-C either probably for the same reason. So as a BBF user, I've not heard a beep or seen a green box for a very long time.

I think that in AF-C the camera is always focusing so it never actually locks unlike when in AF-S. My Nikon dSLRs never beeped to confirm focus in AF-C either probably for the same reason. So as a BBF user, I've not heard a beep or seen a green box for a very long time.
Z9 focus reticule turns green when in focus with AF-C

Back and forth; round and round we go …. I’ve owned the Z6, Z6-II, Z7, and the Z7-II. The focus point does NOT turn green in AF-C. It only turns green in AF-S when focus is achieved. So far, only the Z9 focus point turns green in AF-C if set in custom setting a11.6T

Last edited:
Back and forth; round and round we go …. I’ve owned the Z6, Z6-II, Z7, and the Z7-II. The focus point does NOT turn green in AF-C. It only turns green in AF-S when focus is achieved. So far, only the Z9 focus point turns green in AF-C if set in custom setting a11.
This is correct. I have owned a Z6 II and Z7 II. in AF-C, the focus box does not change from red to green to indicate proper focus. It remains red.

Back