If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Bob Hullinger

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Z94_7736.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The shutter speed is rather low for hummingbirds. Was this to show movement of wings. Also was this pic taken in natural light?
The shutter speed may seem low but that's only true if you are obeying certain photogrpahery paradigms that may or may not be true depending upon the lighting conditions you are dealing with. I will get back to you with some images that say more than I can in words and share how I created them and let you decide what's right or wrong for you. Here's a great person to check out. If you want to take great HB images here's a great guy to check out. https://www.deepgreenphotography.com/ He's the best I know of right now and will bust a lot of myths about shooting humming birds for you.

I'll get back to you with more images that I have done using way different settings than this and try to show you some I will be shooting later this afternoon. If I have time Ill set up a strobe and show you the setup I use and the results of a couple of different methods. Give me a little time becaue I need the birds to cooperate and have to get the images prepped to export.

Fyi The light is all natural and the WB is natural light auto at 5700K.

Last edited:
Nice. Me, I like the outcome of your exposure choices; and am okay with the grain (tho on any given day I'm one of those old guys who isn't overly happy with the hyper sharp photos of the digital age, even as I chase it myself LOL ).