The Hunting Room --- Ranthambore National Park, India.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
DSC_0109-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Used in the past as a hunting lodge for royal members of the Jaipur Kingdom, it nestles beside one of the lakes in the Ranthambore National Park (in the eastern part of Rajasthan, India). This reserve is famous for being one of the original "Project Tiger" reserves, set up in 1973. The early morning mist is slowly being burnt off by the rising sun giving the shot a pleasing "softness".
Taken with a D3100 and Tamron 70-300mm @70mm, ISO 400, f5, 1/1000 Sec., handheld from a land rover. 12/03/14.

Not here unfortunately Kathy, but certainly at another reserve later in the trip.
Lucky you! I was in Ranthanbore in 1992. At the time the guides could only enter the park with tourists with large noisy vehicles (at least that is what they told us) in an effort to stop poachers. The truck was so loud we didn’t see any wildlife. We did see the old buildings. In the end, despite 3 months in India and Nepal, I only saw tigers in the zoos.

Lucky you! I was in Ranthanbore in 1992. At the time the guides could only enter the park with tourists with large noisy vehicles (at least that is what they told us) in an effort to stop poachers. The truck was so loud we didn’t see any wildlife. We did see the old buildings. In the end, despite 3 months in India and Nepal, I only saw tigers in the zoos.
Many a things have changed since 1992. If you are a first time visitor and especially a foreigner, you should visit Tadoba Tiger Reserve due to its high density of tiger population and a smaller area compared to Ranthambore. Spotting a tiger in the wild is also dependent on luck. Sighting one in its natural habitat is possible with proper planing and research about wildlife recent sighting index, you can tilt & increase the odds of sightings tigers in your favor. Because unlike other vacations, wildlife vacation has to be planned way ahead. Do not be disappointed if you aren’t blessed with the glimpse of the King, instead, go to the forests to enjoy its magic, the local history and its wildlife in general. Enjoy what the forests have to offer. The Tiger is indeed a royal animal and the flagship animal of wildlife and wildlife conservation, but wildlife doesn’t stop with just the tiger. If you remain obsessed with only the tiger, you will forget to experience and enjoy the magic and the beauty of the forests. That being said, I must add that seeing a tiger in the wild is such a rush and one that you'll be addicted to for life! 😊

That was unfortunate Kathy, and amazingly our trip through Ranthambore in 2014 was very similar --- fast and noisy, it was more like "now you've seen this place lets move onto the next part of the itinerary "--- not a good experience. Bandhavgarh was where we saw 3 tigers in one afternoon !

Cool shot David...👌👌
Thanks Yezdi, generally speaking this was one of the few good landscape places we visited on this trip --- a lot of the time was spent viewing various fascinating forts and beautiful palaces. The game reserve at Bandavgarh was definitely the best place we went to for the "Indian wildlife" experience. Ranthambore was very disappointing, Panna was mediocre, as wildlife there was only just recovering from excessive poaching.

Dave
Love the ambience here and the slightly mute colours and suggestion of mist in the BG.
The old building is a beaut
Also the partial frames on the left and right twigs 'n tree.
If it was mine, I would loose half of the grass FG, just roll the mouse over to see the change in POV/feeling/perspective. :)

Dave
Love the ambience here and the slightly mute colours and suggestion of mist in the BG.
The old building is a beaut
Also the partial frames on the left and right twigs 'n tree.
If it was mine, I would loose half of the grass FG, just roll the mouse over to see the change in POV/feeling/perspective. :)
Thanks Callie, yes I did consider the amount of grass in the foreground, but after a few trials I preferred the balance of sky to grass, with the pastel colour gradient leading the eye up from the distinctive grass shade up through the frame to the "ephemeral" blue of the sky ---but I welcome all and any alternatives to my compositions with thanks, always good to get a second opinion !

Nice shot Dave. I was there in February this year. I enjoyed Ranthambore zone 1 with the water but was very disappointed with the other zones. We had good sighting in zone one of a pair of sub adults, including a kill. I also visited Bandhavgarh where we had a single short sighting. I agree with other replies, I much prefer Bandhavgarh for the overall experience, I am booked to go back next year🤞🤞🤞

Nice shot Dave. I was there in February this year. I enjoyed Ranthambore zone 1 with the water but was very disappointed with the other zones. We had good sighting in zone one of a pair of sub adults, including a kill. I also visited Bandhavgarh where we had a single short sighting. I agree with other replies, I much prefer Bandhavgarh for the overall experience, I am booked to go back next year🤞🤞🤞
Thanks Dave, and lucky you for going again --- I just hope we will get our pre-planned trips done in 2021 !

View attachment 7737

Used in the past as a hunting lodge for royal members of the Jaipur Kingdom, it nestles beside one of the lakes in the Ranthambore National Park (in the eastern part of Rajasthan, India). This reserve is famous for being one of the original "Project Tiger" reserves, set up in 1973. The early morning mist is slowly being burnt off by the rising sun giving the shot a pleasing "softness".
Taken with a D3100 and Tamron 70-300mm @70mm, ISO 400, f5, 1/1000 Sec., handheld from a land rover. 12/03/14.
Beautiful scene, gottshotz!

Back