If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Andrew Lamberson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
In a couple more weeks, Monarchs will be heading south for winter. Large groups are gathering north of Winona and the Twin Cities. The prairie areas in the Trempealau National Wildlife Refuge have hundreds of acres of restored prairie with Milkweed plants, the Monarch's host plant for their caterpillars.
Monarch Butterfly by the river for bcg-0908-IMG_00001.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Monarch Butterfly by the river on yellow for bcg-0908-IMG_00001.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful images, Andrew, of nature's most benign creature. A few years ago my wife and I were on the Blue Ridge Parkway south of Asheville, NC in early October. It was a foggy day with visibility of a bit more than 50 yards. We stopped at an overlook where, emerging from and then disappearing into the mist, was a river of Monarch butterflies. It was the most awe inspiring thing I have ever seen.

Thanks! I find it difficult to get an image of Monarchs that appears to be all in focus. The markings and scales on their wings can often make a shot look out of focus, even if it isn’t.