The night the sky caught fire

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Driving home at the end of the day in my hometown a week ago I was greeted with probably the most spectacular sunset clouds I'd ever seen. Of course that's when one does not have a proper camera with you, nor are you in the right place for that once-in-a-lifetime sunset shot.

I pulled the car over out of the traffic and shot this on my IPhone.

IMG_3910.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Holy smokes it sure did just catch fire 😲 😲 ....... that`s one Awesome sky right there Rassie .. there has to be a name for that type of cloud formation ....

Harry.G

Holy smokes it sure did just catch fire 😲 😲 ....... that`s one Awesome sky right there Rassie .. there has to be a name for that type of cloud formation ....

Harry.G
Thanks, Harry. I guess there is a name for that cloud formation - "Pretty". 🤡
Joking aside, hopefully one of our learned friends on the forum has a name for it.

Thanks, Callie. Interesting you call them pyro clouds. According to Wiki pyro clouds are sometimes associated with fire or volcanic eruptions. My daughter said this image feels like being inside a volcano.

Thanks, Callie. Interesting you call them pyro clouds. According to Wiki pyro clouds are sometimes associated with fire or volcanic eruptions. My daughter said this image feels like being inside a volcano.
Koos ~ no clue as to real name of the cloud formation - my geography is 50 years ago - maybe a cirrus-stratus combo but I love pyro as it is the other name used for fire for me as a non-English speaker.

Great sky! Nicely captured.

FWIW, I've always called cloud formations like that 'Mackeral Skies' and it often predicts weather coming in over the next 12 to 24 hours. Not sure where I picked up that expression but it's something stuck in my memory from way back.

[edit] I just Googled the term to see if I was totally off base but apparently that's what some folks call these waves of cirrocumulus and altocumulus clouds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackerel_sky

Last edited:
Oh my gosh, Koos, that is spectacular! That truly is, must have been a sight to see!
It was, Bill. I'll tell ya, if there was any active volcano in the area I would have made a run for it. I have never seen skies like this. It was almost scary.

Great sky! Nicely captured.

FWIW, I've always called cloud formations like that 'Mackeral Skies' and it often predicts weather coming in over the next 24 to 48 hours. Not sure where I picked up that expression but it's something stuck in my memory from way back.

[edit] I just Googled the term to see if I was totally off base but apparently that's what some folks call these waves of cirrocumulus and altocumulus clouds: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mackerel_sky
Thanks, Dave. Now we have a name for the phenomenon. :)

Crikey Rassie, looks like the hot cinder bed of a Barbi --- better crack open the tinnies --- Super shot of a molten sky, I think the cloud formation is called mammatus ( Pillow clouds).

That's remarkable. As a photo I love the juxtaposition of the gorgeous red hot sky with the 'colder', empty lot and retail strip vibe of Steeles Ave.

At least someone who likes the mix. Thanks for that, Steven.
For myself, I always try to exclude the human element from any of my nature images when I can. Nothing man-made in the image if I can help it. Problem here is that this light wasn't going to wait for me to drive out of town before capturing it. :)

Back