If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

johnehrenfeldphotography@gmail

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I make my living doing 'Bird' workshops and I could not be happier with this gear for birding and see no benefit in spending more money on alternatives. I do not use extenders and 6.3 is not a problem for me. The excellent high ISO capabilities of the Z9 and an occasional Topaz improvement after a Lightroom edit work for me. I especially love the Birds In Flight capabilities as far as locking on easily and following. I handhold this camera and lense most of the time. (Ferruginous Hawk and Prairie Falcon below)

Z9K_2981-Edit-2 BC.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Z9K_5073-Edit BC.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I make my living doing 'Bird' workshops and I could not be happier with this gear for birding and see no benefit in spending more money on alternatives. I do not use extenders and 6.3 is not a problem for me. The excellent high ISO capabilities of the Z9 and an occasional Topaz improvement after a Lightroom edit work for me. I especially love the Birds In Flight capabilities as far as locking on easily and following. I handhold this camera and lense most of the time. (Ferruginous Hawk and Prairie Falcon below)

View attachment 78172View attachment 78173
Yes, I use the same. Great photos! I've used the 1.4+ on tripod and had excellent results.

View attachment 78172View attachment 78173

I have to agree, the Z9 and 800mm PF are the best for birding, but I've just added the Z180-600mm to my collection as I find it gives the necessary flexibility for big wildlife as well as birds which I encounter. Sometimes the 800mm is limiting when subjects are closer or bigger than the usual bird shot that the 800PF nails so well. Am equally thrilled with the new lens. It's fast on the focus and sharp. Beautiful images of yours. Thank you for sharing.