If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Joe B

DSC_0072-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I never am able to get close to these guys. One day I'll get around to making a real effort and hide myself near a perch and wait. Nothing else seems to do the trick.

I took the camera on a recent kayaking outing with my wife. There were a handful of these guys shooting up and down the creek, and, after several attempts of setting down the paddle and picking up the camera as I heard one coming, I managed to get this one frame where the bird is just barely in the bottom right. This is a pretty heavy crop. It's not much, but it's the best I've got so far.

Hi Joe, I'm a big fan of photographing kingfishers, IMHO the only way is, as you say find a known perch, hide and be patient (very). I've bought myself a ghillie suit ( 30 bucks on Ebay) . The only BIF shots I have are just after take off. Z9 + 500PF
Kingfisher3BCG.JPG
Kingfisher 2BCG.JPG

View attachment 36260

I never am able to get close to these guys. One day I'll get around to making a real effort and hide myself near a perch and wait. Nothing else seems to do the trick.

I took the camera on a recent kayaking outing with my wife. There were a handful of these guys shooting up and down the creek, and, after several attempts of setting down the paddle and picking up the camera as I heard one coming, I managed to get this one frame where the bird is just barely in the bottom right. This is a pretty heavy crop. It's not much, but it's the best I've got so far.
I agree. Have to find a place where they perch and then plant yourself. That’s what I did last fall and captured my first shot. Came out pretty well. Plan to go back soon and see if I can find a few more.
FC7C26AC-10BA-4519-8A96-7E3852CF9AF8.jpeg

They still evade me too except at long distance. But as said already, patience and find a repeated perch location, neither are my traits unless they start fishing in my front yard fountain!:) As I am finding out, the hunt and outing is the main fun of photography, second is showing anybody who will look at your product, good or bad. Picture or not of kingfisher, you had a great outing in kayak unless you dropped your camera in the water, then never mind! Good luck.

Hi Joe, I'm a big fan of photographing kingfishers, IMHO the only way is, as you say find a known perch, hide and be patient (very). I've bought myself a ghillie suit ( 30 bucks on Ebay) . The only BIF shots I have are just after take off. Z9 + 500PF
View attachment 36263View attachment 36264
Nice shots, stumpy! A ghillie suit does sound easier than my little pop up hide. My wife could probably do with another reason to laugh at me, too

They still evade me too except at long distance. But as said already, patience and find a repeated perch location, neither are my traits unless they start fishing in my front yard fountain!:) As I am finding out, the hunt and outing is the main fun of photography, second is showing anybody who will look at your product, good or bad. Picture or not of kingfisher, you had a great outing in kayak unless you dropped your camera in the water, then never mind! Good luck.
I hear you, man. Going somewhere with the camera just to see what all you come across is a lot of fun. Sitting isn't always as enjoyable, but at least kingfishers usually pick some pretty spots to hang out in. Thankfully the camera stayed dry, so we both enjoyed the afternoon kayaking.

Excellent shots Stumpy…mebbe I need to get me one of those suits as well but the hard part is figuring out where to go and hide. Kingfishers and Red Winged Blackbirds are among the hardest subjects to shoot…different reasons though, the Red Wings are just so dead black that getting detail without blowing out everything else is hard.

I am particularly lucky, here is a shot just 20yards to the left of my position. I think they are trying to decide whose turn it is to fly to the perch to have their photo taken !!!. I have literally hundreds of photos similar to the ones above. But I'm certain I wouldn't be as "lucky" without the ghillie suit. I never get tired of shooting these guys. Actually I'll be there again in an hour or so. Just as a side note , their main diet is small mud crabs. (in this area)
Kingfisher family2.jpg

Last edited: