The Oxbow - various exposures

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

R.Philip

I was in GTNP for a couple weeks. I visited Oxbow Bend repeatedly over those weeks hoping to capture nice clouds, calm water, and the reflections of Mt. Moran and friends. All the elements coming together alluded me, but I came away with these images, among others, that I felt were pleasing.

There is no mistaking that this is location is one of God's myriad fantastic locations in our great country. God blessed America.

I ride for the Patriot Guard. Since these images were taken around Memorial Day (the day we celebrate our veterans and those that have fallen. It isn't a weekend to pray to our grill/pool/beach gods!). I wish to thank all you veterans and current serviceman for your service and your sacrifice. Me and my friends salute all of you!

This was a 8-9 a.m. morning 3 image HDR with the clouds and storms that were pervasive during most of my visit. I took out the road and expanded the landscape and I made the tree on the left fuller. I always juice up the color saturation and made the sky more dramatic.

20210520-untitled-67-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Here is a sunrise 3 image HDR that was taken shortly after sunrise. I used Photomatix Pro on these two images. I haven't used it for several years and just used some of their presets. I find that the current presets do not include one that is as natural as what I remember. I do not remember which preset this was but it is the best I could manage.

20210521-untitled-50_1_2.jpg

Here is a shot taken toward the end of my trip at mid-day with no clouds. It was the first time I was able to see the water totally calm. I made it into a pano with limited edits. I was dissappointed with the lack of a cloud element, but love the crispness and clarity of the image and the reflection.

20210531-untitled-185-2-Pano.jpg

Beautiful!
The last two images have significantly more pop and drama than the first. I think it's the higher contrast and reflections on the smooth water that make a difference.

All very nice shots, great job. The second is my favorite. :) I need to get up there, it's only about a four hour drive from where I live.
I'm 22 hours away. That's why I stayed 2 weeks. If I was 4 hours away, I'd be visiting more frequently. It is gorgeous out there.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Someone on BCG forum said it so accurately, "If you want better pictures, put yourself in front of better subjects." GTNP is both beautiful for landscapes and abundant in wildlife opportunities. I really enjoyed it.

Back