If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Photographer_Bill

Supporting Member
Marketplace
It's starting to cool off in the great northwest (of Florida :LOL:) and many birds are leaving the panhandle to fly further south for warmer beaches, so that leaves Pelican's and Seagull's as my birds to train on. I have not seriously photographed wildlife since the film days so trying to get back into the swing of things and still learning a lot about my equipment that is mostly used for people and how to adapt it to wildlife. Went for a walk along the beach with my wife the other day and brought my new 400mm f/4.5 with me to see what I could capture. I had the 180-600 when it first came out but was not prepared for how heavy that lens would be so I decided to trade up for a 400 and am delightfully surprised at how light this lens is.

I was tracking this pelican when he took a sharp turn and went after a little seagull which I thought was odd until I noticed the seagull had a big chunk of fish in his beak, in shot 3 I thought the seagull himself was going to be pelican dinner. Shot with my Z8 using Wide L with subject tracking, images are cropped some and some PP in Lightroom as I continue to learn new techniques.

20231118_Navarre_Beach_Pelican_Seagull_001.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

20231118_Navarre_Beach_Pelican_Seagull_002.jpg

20231118_Navarre_Beach_Pelican_Seagull_003.jpg

20231118_Navarre_Beach_Pelican_Seagull_004.jpg

20231118_Navarre_Beach_Pelican_Seagull_005.jpg

Not pelican or seagull but saw this guy further down the beach, I believe it is a juvenile stilt sandpiper but not entirely certain as I'm still trying to identify a lot of the birds around here
20231118_Navarre_Beach_Stilt_Sandpiper_009.jpg

20231118_Navarre_Beach_Stilt_Sandpiper_010.jpg

Nice set but I mostly like the last two shots for it being more level to the bird and that cool wave splash in the bg in the last shot.
Thank you Kirk, yes, those last two occurred when I was sitting down fairly low to the water and this guy came strolling by. Eventually I want to get a ground pod and gimbal and play around with ground level shots, I suppose I could always flip my screen out and hold the camera very low to the ground but I still find myself wanting to look through the VF so have difficulty relinquishing control to the rear screen.