If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Near my home is a railway line that crosses a little river over a high bridge. When I stand on the bridge the trees growing below reach as high as the bridge, or even higher. It's a lovely spot. While I was on the bridge (about 80 feet from the ground) a male Redwing Blackbird thought I was too close to whatever territory it was protecting so it kept making passes close by, almost at eye level. It really exercised my BIF skills.

NZ8_9414-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

NZ8_9439-Enhanced-NR.jpg

NZ8_9454-Enhanced-NR.jpg

NZ8_9586-Enhanced-NR.jpg

And for a bonus, a Field Sparrow. This was a new one for me, I've not seen one before.

NZ8_9172-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
Near my home is a railway line that crosses a little river over a high bridge. When I stand on the bridge the trees growing below reach as high as the bridge, or even higher. It's a lovely spot. While I was on the bridge (about 80 feet from the ground) a male Redwing Blackbird thought I was too close to whatever territory it was protecting so it kept making passes close by, almost at eye level. It really exercised my BIF skills.

View attachment 91689
View attachment 91691
View attachment 91692
View attachment 91693

And for a bonus, a Field Sparrow. This was a new one for me, I've not seen one before.

View attachment 91694
Beautiful capture of birds that are unfamiliar to me Koos,
Thanks for sharing.
Gavin

Beautiful capture of birds that are unfamiliar to me Koos,
Thanks for sharing.
Gavin
Thanks, Gavin. The Redwing is a feisty character. It takes on all comers when defending its nesting territory, from humans to hawks, eagles, herons, etc. They will take off from near the nest and attack approaching birds in the air, chasing them far away before returning to the nest. They migrate south in winter, and their screeching at the end of winter when they return, announces very clearly that spring has arrived.
See

Here's the Field Sparrow:

View attachment 91689
View attachment 91691
View attachment 91692
View attachment 91693

View attachment 91694
Beautifull Rassie!đź‘Ťđź‘Ťđź‘Ť