If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JoelKlein

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Effected from the wild fires in Canada.
IMG_7156.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_7155.jpeg
IMG_7154.jpeg

Cool shots, Joel. Be careful with that sort of stuff though.

In case anyone else gets the same idea; the (solar) astronomer in me feels the need to mention this:

Please never ever point your camera at the sun directly unless you know what you're doing. While the smoke will act as an ND filter here and a quick snap with a mirrorless camera will be unlikely to cause any issues, I still wouldn't advise it. With a dslr, just don't.

Cool shots, Joel. Be careful with that sort of stuff though.

In case anyone else gets the same idea; the (solar) astronomer in me feels the need to mention this:

Please never ever point your camera at the sun directly unless you know what you're doing. While the smoke will act as an ND filter here and a quick snap with a mirrorless camera will be unlikely to cause any issues, I still wouldn't advise it. With a dslr, just don't.
Thank you for the awareness.
What is the issue with the sensor seeing the sun properly exposed?

Thank you for the awareness.
What is the issue with the sensor seeing the sun properly exposed?
The main problem is the amount of energy that your sensor is being exposed to. The cliché comparison that's often made is burning ants with a magnifying glass (the lens being the magnifying glass in this case). With a dslr, you have the additional problem that there's a mirror reflecting that up into the viewfinder (which hopefully noone is looking through at the time).

As I already mentioned, fog/smoke/etc can act as a natural ND filter to lower the danger (but it's rolling the dice really). I would recommend only ever pointing anything directly at the sun with a proper solar filter in place.