If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So I went to the local park to really try and focus on the "mundane" subjects. My goal was to try and get a half decent shot with AF Animal Tracking, as it is a completely new feature to me. Mirrorless is the future and I've been kidding myself until now :)

I do like the challenge of trying to get half decent shots of very common subjects - I'm also guilty of putting too much emphasis on the subject, when really it is more about the photo. Both are ideal of course.

(Severely downgraded and resized, I hope it shows up OK on the forum!)

DSC_0381 (Large).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
Nice capture, I'm guessing you're loving the camera. The animal eye det. is the main reason I bought my R7, I was tired of the old 80D choosing what it was going to focus on. A wing tip, a foot, a shoulder. I feel the same way about the downgrading and resizing, I always have to re edit for a shot to look better at lower res.

While it may be a mundane subject, the photo is anything but mundane. Really nice (and it looks like the camera works!).
Thanks @MrFotoFool , this kinda shot would be quite hard to get with my D500, and on my first outing I got about 4 decent skimming shots.

Z8 will net me more keepers for sure, I'm glad I "invested" in it (let's be honest, camera gear is rarely an investment 😂)

Nice capture, I'm guessing you're loving the camera. The animal eye det. is the main reason I bought my R7, I was tired of the old 80D choosing what it was going to focus on. A wing tip, a foot, a shoulder. I feel the same way about the downgrading and resizing, I always have to re edit for a shot to look better at lower res.
Eye detection gives instant freedom for composition. If a bird turns it's head, you can just move the camera without moving the AF point around. Inevitably it then moves it's position back again, and when you've moved your AF points it's flown away.

This isn't a problem with the Z8 and I can predict and react *much* faster. MILC really is the future ☺ glad you're enjoying the R7

Thanks @MrFotoFool , this kinda shot would be quite hard to get with my D500, and on my first outing I got about 4 decent skimming shots.

Z8 will net me more keepers for sure, I'm glad I "invested" in it (let's be honest, camera gear is rarely an investment 😂)
Good to hear, because I sold all my Nikon F gear three weeks ago to fund a Z8 which I am waiting to arrive at the shop.

Are you going with Z lenses?
Yes, I sold all my F lenses and will transition to Z. With the camera body I ordered a Z 70-200 f2.8 because it has a $300 rebate and I could only afford one lens to start. This has always been my favorite and most used lens, previously the Nikon AF-S version and before that when I was a Canon shooter the Canon L version. For my long telephoto I still have a Sony 200-600 and A74 that I got a year and a half ago, but if the upcoming Nikon version looks good I will likely sell my Sony to swap. I love the Sony lens but don't like the ergonomics of the camera (which is why I ordered a Z8).