If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ssheipel

Supporting Member
Marketplace
From a week ago; a Grackle, one of many, searching the grass.
Grackle blue sized.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Steven, love the play of light on the plumage. That beady eye looks to be difficult to get into focus the same way or strarlings' eyes confuse the autofocus!

Last edited:
Steven, love the play of light on the plumage. That beady eye looks to be difficult to get into focus the same way or strarlings' eyes confuse the autofocus!
Thanks much Caille. Fuller light would have truly lit this guy's colours up, but a beauty agreed. I don't recall if AF had difficulty finding the eye -- bird eye detect would have been engaged; and I often hit a function key to use single point tho also don't remember if I did that in this very very short encounter. I'll be seeing a lot of these birds in the next few weeks, I'm going to specifically 'test' your thesis on the AF confusion with such eyes!

Thanks much Caille. Fuller light would have truly lit this guy's colours up, but a beauty agreed. I don't recall if AF had difficulty finding the eye -- bird eye detect would have been engaged; and I often hit a function key to use single point tho also don't remember if I did that in this very very short encounter. I'll be seeing a lot of these birds in the next few weeks, I'm going to specifically 'test' your thesis on the AF confusion with such eyes!
Steven - I do not shoot Z, so the autofocus on the DSLR's, though good, apparently does not come close the the Z-system.

Steven - I do not shoot Z, so the autofocus on the DSLR's, though good, apparently does not come close the the Z-system.
The Z9's AF is amazing, but it ain't magically perfect. Tho my very limited understanding of the difference of the systems is that the Z shouldn't be 'fooled' by the colour differences and in fact with this bird the eye is likely going to be more 'obvious' to the AF. Still, I'm going pay attention closely next time I'm out. I'm such a sloppy technical shooter (e.g. continually forget to worry about the AF spot being where I hope it goes before firing the shutter :) ); good exercise to slow down and think!