Things that fly!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

gpsman

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was out at my favorite place in concord. Problem was , the birds were not out and about. You can hear them, but tough to see. The foliage is so lush due to the rain. So I decided to change it up. The insects we’re having a field day with all the flowers. This dragonfly was being most cooperative. Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, recommendations welcome. This was shot with my D850 and 200-500, set at 500mm f6.3 iso 1250.

Attachments

• 68E50311-669F-4678-884B-03EC036E462D.jpeg
    68E50311-669F-4678-884B-03EC036E462D.jpeg
    187.6 KB · Views: 109
I was out at my favorite place in concord. Problem was , the birds were not out and about. You can hear them, but tough to see. The foliage is so lush due to the rain. So I decided to change it up. The insects we’re having a field day with all the flowers. This dragonfly was being most cooperative. Let me know what you think. Comments, suggestions, recommendations welcome. This was shot with my D850 and 200-500, set at 500mm f6.3 iso 1250.
Since you ask:

There are distracting blown out highlights in the background, on the flower, and on the top of the dragonfly's head. The tail is out of focus. Parts of the wings are out of focus. Parts of head and legs are nicely sharp.

Since you ask:

There are distracting blown out highlights in the background, on the flower, and on the top of the dragonfly's head. The tail is out of focus. Parts of the wings are out of focus. Parts of head and legs are nicely sharp.
Oooh! Anything else? Just kidding. I was so taken with my photo, I didn’t drill down. Thanks for helping me look closer.

Overall nice - but you will find that if you take this photo in better light - it will improve the image plenty.
It isn't always possible to get award winning photos at the best time of day in the best locations with the best settings.
Time of day and shooting from a lower angle, are two of the things I always promise myself I will chase more.

I too am a rookie at bugs in flight. I loved your photo with the narrow depth of field. When I look at one of these dazzlers in the sun, they are blown out in my eyes, so I just thought it was normal.

And, now you know, why no one wants my critiques.

I hope you are also knowing how much fun it is to be here!

Back