If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

About two years ago , in a very small nature reserve between Kettering and Rothwell, Northants I could virtually guarantee that if I went to Prologis Park I would be able to see
and Photograph this one particular Kite. He or she would glide in as close as 25 to 35 yards to see what was going on . I knew it was the same bird because one of the primary
flight feathers on the left wing was in half. This bird became like an old friend for months on end . Sadly I haven't seen it for well over a year now. Have you made connection with
one of our friends in nature ? Tell us about it.
DSC_4028.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I also have enjoyed a rare and wonderful relationship with a wild bird. This adult female Allen's hummingbird nested on my patio three times in 2019 and once in 2020. She spent the intervening fall and winter roosting in my yard and potted plants. From the beginning she was unusually tolerant of human and pet activity. I was able to move about just under her nest without causing her any alarm. I spent hours daily photographing and videoing her activities. She grew to be very companionable. If she wasn't immediately visible when I entered the yard, I would only have to call "mama bird" and she would appear. When she took a break from nest duties she would sometimes fly among my tripod legs searching for insects or perch on a nearby potted plant to preen. She did not nest in locations that were photogenic or beautifully lit, but she gifted me with opportunities to photograph nest building and egg laying through chick fledging. And, since her chicks were raised to be comfortable with me, I was able to observe and photograph many behaviors after they left the nest.

hummingbird DSC_4763 720.jpg

hummingbird 501_1490 202002 720 foraging.jpg

hummingbird 502_3937 202002 720 feeding day 16.jpg

hummingbird DSC_1073 201903 720 feeding fledge day 24.jpg

hummingbird 502_5892 202002 720 first female perch hunting.jpg