Thoughts on this shot

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Z07_5551-DeNoiseAI-raw(2)-gigapixel-art-height-7232px(3).jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This was taken just as the sun started to light up the sky, predawn I guess. To dark? Yes / No.

nea

It definitely sets the mood as a low key shot. Enough that it made me look twice. It might be worth experimenting with just a little color in the distant sky to signal the coming dawn, and that also would give a little contrast for the silhouette.

I think this could make an outstanding photo if printed directly on acrylic and lit from behind (WARNING: some "acrylic" prints are printed on photographic paper that is then encased in acrylic. That won't do.) FWIW

I think this could make an outstanding photo if printed directly on acrylic and lit from behind (WARNING: some "acrylic" prints are printed on photographic paper that is then encased in acrylic. That won't do.) FWIW

Do you have a link to a place that does it your way? I think I've only seen face-mounted acrylic, where the face of the paper print is adhered with an invisible adhesive to the back of a sheet of acrylic/Plexiglas.

Do you have a link to a place that does it your way? I think I've only seen face-mounted acrylic, where the face of the paper print is adhered with an invisible adhesive to the back of a sheet of acrylic/Plexiglas.
Mpix does that, but there are others, too. I don't remember who I used the last time I did an acrylic print. There aren't many of my shots that strike me as being candidates for this kind of treatment, but I always like it when I print one this way.

ETA: Found it: ArtisanHD is the one I used last and was very happy with their work.

IMO, although the subject is interesting, unless you could turn it into a decent image by opening it up about 3 stops in your processor I wouldn't waste any time trying to salvage it. The subject is just not that unique to justify your time, energy, and money trying to save it. [Don't ask how I know these things :cool: ]

I certainly do like that you tried something here. The fact that it doesn't work for me - isn't all that important.
Does it work for you well enough to print and hang?
The overlay effect isn't something I particularly fancy - I think there are better ways to treat this image perhaps

Thank you all for your input. I myself am 50/50 on it. The background is muddy water in the lake from last nights storms. I guess I should have just hid till the light got better, it didn't stick around. I was at a state park and the early morning walkers scared it off.

Mpix does that, but there are others, too. I don't remember who I used the last time I did an acrylic print. There aren't many of my shots that strike me as being candidates for this kind of treatment, but I always like it when I print one this way.

ETA: Found it: ArtisanHD is the one I used last and was very happy with their work.

Thanks, looks good.

The pose and the fish are really nice. I'd suggest adding a bit more contrast in post and playing around with exposure, colors and saturation. The image has possibilities, but needs TLC to become a keeper......at least for me.

If you Google tonalism you see sort of the potential for this kind of image. Georgie Inness or Dwight Tyron for example. Could be kind of cool.

Last edited:
If that's how everything appeared, and you wanted to keep it as realistic as possible, then I'd say you hit the mark. If it were mine I would at least darken the blacks and bump up the contrast and the whites/temp. a bit so it wouldn't be so flat and dull. You're the artist, you know what you like.

Back