Tide Pools Pacific Coast

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CoyoteCreationsNW

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I had and opportunity to visit Olympic National Park Pacific beaches at low tide. First time using a Nikon Z7ii and MC 105 mm f/2.8 lens for this type of images. Color noise shooting through the water seemed higher than normal. Comments or suggestions are always welcome.
Tide Pool W4-edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

It would help if you would provide shooting information.....fstop, shutter speed, ISO, etc.

Shots like this are tricky. You have successfully removed any surface reflections. The anemones are sharp and nicely focused.

Perhaps a composition which eliminated the distracting, reflective vegetation in the upper right corner. Maybe crop the top just above the green anemone.

It would help if you would provide shooting information.....fstop, shutter speed, ISO, etc.

Shots like this are tricky. You have successfully removed any surface reflections. The anemones are sharp and nicely focused.

Perhaps a composition which eliminated the distracting, reflective vegetation in the upper right corner. Maybe crop the top just above the green anemone.
Nikon Z7 ii MC 105 mm f/2.8 lens. ISO 1250, 1/60 second, f/6.3, 20 frames stacked in Helicon. Low tide was early so these were shot under full clouds early in the morning so minimal surface reflection. I did not have a polarizing filter at the time. Good point on the upper right. I wanted to include the water line on the rock but could probably found a better angle to do that. Thanks for the feedback. My only esperience with focus shift shooting was Steve's video so this was definitely on the job training.

Impressive considering this is focus shift shooting! The minute I saw 1/60 I thought "Huh? but there's no sign of movement!" LOL!

It's hard to tell about the noise at this size. But a run through Topaz DeNoise AI will take care of noise. Play around with the various options in DeN till you find the right combo of settings for the image.

Nikon Z7 ii MC 105 mm f/2.8 lens. ISO 1250, 1/60 second, f/6.3, 20 frames stacked in Helicon. Low tide was early so these were shot under full clouds early in the morning so minimal surface reflection. I did not have a polarizing filter at the time. Good point on the upper right. I wanted to include the water line on the rock but could probably found a better angle to do that. Thanks for the feedback. My only esperience with focus shift shooting was Steve's video so this was definitely on the job training.
FWIW, I'd probably have cropped out (ideally in the field or potentially in post) the bright area above the water line as it creates a potential distraction from the beautiful colors in the anemone. Remember our eyes tend to get attracted to bright areas and everything above the water line is pretty bright. A polarizer might have helped.

Impressive considering this is focus shift shooting! The minute I saw 1/60 I thought "Huh? but there's no sign of movement!" LOL!

It's hard to tell about the noise at this size. But a run through Topaz DeNoise AI will take care of noise. Play around with the various options in DeN till you find the right combo of settings for the image.
It did go through Denoie AI. I wanted to stay at ISO 1000 or lower and f/8 but then shutter would have been even lower. I have some learning to go through on trade offs when the light is this low. Stuck with low tide being a few minutes aftr first light and 100% cloud cover. I did have to clean up a few halos on the tentacles after stacking.

Back