Time to switch to mirrorless - Z8 or Z9?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Are you sweating the difference of the dollars between the Z8 and the Z9, or just the dollars, period? (I certainly understand your concerns about your recent disposable income changes.)

Either way, if your D850s are functioning well, there is no reason that they will not serve you well during your upcoming trip to the Smokies. Yes, the features of mirrorless cameras and lenses are nice to have, but they are neither an existential necessity, nor a photographic one.
Just the dollars period. I was planning on using the D850's in the smokies. They are working fine and I am more than happy with them. Afterward, I will explore the sales of my f-mount glass collection to see what $$ I can generate from that. I have portrait gear and other items I rarely use and will see what cash that will bring. I am not crying poor by any means, but do have to watch the pennies more because of inflation. This entire hobby, for me, is disposable income. I just can't believe the impact the last three years have had on what is disposable.

Last edited:
There's unceasing debate about photographers' challenges in "keeping up" with digital technology.

I've found the adage Date the Bodies, Marry the Glass is useful, but the realities are several Mirrorless lenses have significant advantages over their DSLR predecessors. However, nikonians have the advantages of a wealth of choices in the Greater Nikon Ecosystem, which has allowed adapting F-mount lenses to one's first MILC, as well as the prevailing benefits of a buyer's Used market.

More importantly, perhaps, is that Nikon's mirrorless Cameras are still maturing. So the pragmatic strategy is to begin with a mid range Zed camera and a FTZ II only. Right now, Zf offers many of the most useful Mirrorless features with G and E Glass. Then add Z Nikkor gems over time, as resources permit and shops offer Specials, including Refurbished units.

Last edited:
Let's recall how it took Nikon many years to refine the bullet proof performance and design the haptics of the D500, D850 and D6; core design features in these penultimate DSLRs has persisted from the 1990s, if not earlier SLRs (F100, F4 etc). (Important trends, obviously, have entailed the maturing of sensor technology and faster, integrated ICs ie EXPEED cpus in Nikon's case.)

The pro Z8 and Z9 have leveraged on the penultimate DSLR technology and designs, and improved on them. The Pro MILCs have many more custom Menu options, particularly.

Nevertheless, the current Z FX MILCs are 2nd generation. Nikon has stated in its 5 year strategic plan that it is prioritizing the design of more affordable Z cameras using Z9 features. Indeed they've released the Z8 and Zf, and...... New MILCs are pending, and these are very likely to be highly capable imaging instruments, even for wildlife photography: high fps, Z9 AF engine, PreCapture, IBIS etc :)

Last edited:
Back