Tips for photography from the ground

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Matt N

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I'm curious to know what most people do to aide in shooting from the ground. For example, I find that when I'm laying on my stomach, I really struggle to hold the 800pf up for any length of time. I purchased a ground pod, but find that I rarely want to carry that around with me. Other thoughts I had was carrying around a bean bag, or maybe getting a tabletop sized tripod. Alternatively, I could sit and try to prop up the lens on my toe.

I'm planning a short trip next week where I hope to see rabbits and I want to get really low and wait. I may have to hike 1/2 mile, so I'm trying to figure out the best approach without carrying too much gear.

So what do you do and what accessories have you tried?

Reactions: JAS
I use an Elka "dish". It is like a frisbee with an added tripod mount on the dish side. I attach that to my camera/lens combo and it works well enough for me. I have useed this with the Z9/100-400 and Z9/800pf combinations. There are other similar and cheaper approaches like a plain frisbee with a tripod hear bolted to it. Bean bags can also work, though the weight may be more than you would like to handle.

Last edited:
Back