To clone or not to clone...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm ok with everything about this pic but if it were mine, I would increase the exp a little and maybe add a little blue to the bg ... and maybe a touch of vibrancy.

Definitely not a wall-hanger, but I think I improved it AND I learned a few things along the way - many thanks to everyone for their input/feedback/suggestions. (By the way, photo specs with this post are incorrect - the ones from the first post are correct - things got messed up when I added cattail layers from another photo.)

_RD41254-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

(PS. Word of warning to those that switch computers - according to my calibration software, my monitor had to be set to a brightness of 89 out of 100 for my previous computer. For my new computer that same monitor and same calibration software indicates that the setting should be 15 out of 100.)

Definitely not a wall-hanger, but I think I improved it AND I learned a few things along the way - many thanks to everyone for their input/feedback/suggestions. (By the way, photo specs with this post are incorrect - the ones from the first post are correct - things got messed up when I added cattail layers from another photo.)

View attachment 58615

(PS. Word of warning to those that switch computers - according to my calibration software, my monitor had to be set to a brightness of 89 out of 100 for my previous computer. For my new computer that same monitor and same calibration software indicates that the setting should be 15 out of 100.)
That looks better, good job.

A noted wildlife photographer once said to me something that I found helpful when evaluating images - “Hey, sometimes shadows, sticks, branches and leaves happen !!” Upon further discussion he commented that sometimes it’s part of the story - that they get in the way. It’s their environment.

I like the first image. It’s how I often see these birds. Either presentation is OK For me. Nice shot.

I guess I should say that I don't intentionally underexpose with a strict exposure compensation, I just dial in what looks like it is slightly underexposed. In this case I dialed in +0.3 and since the majority of the scene is a bright grey that meant that I was still a full stop underexposed. Either way, I need to get better at looking at the histogram in the EVF.

This is a 4x5 crop and I did try a 2x3 crop. I went with the 4x5 since there was so much dead space on the left that is was boring. However if I take the suggestion of @EricBowles and add in some extra OOF cattails/reeds then a 2x3 could work out nicely.
@dupcak,
Point the camera at a scene with automatic exposure set and it's ready to go. Change your point of view slightly, point in a slightly different direction and, boodah bang, ready to go again with a new recommendation.

Really?

Don't let those insolent devils inside the camera determine what your exposure should be. Switch to manual and decide for yourself what will be 18% gray and where the shadows and highlights will land.

If there is time, why not take a test shot and analyze it for exposure, dynamic range and maybe a guess at composition? Consider the ISO and balance it with the other sides of the exposure triangle to find the right compromise, since this will determine the final dynamic range and the flexibility to adjust the range of exposure during post processing.

Scan across the possible angles-of-view and see how these particular (manual) settings will work. Maybe automatic exposure, with perhaps some compensation dialed in, will be better with fast-moving subjects and rapidly changing light, but it would be good to anticipate.

Hope this helps.

Quick story about this shot:

I decided to visit Great Meadows NWR in Massachusetts after seeing photos posted by @gpsman. I got there on a cold, gray and blustery morning. I captured a few red-winged blackbirds and then came across the one pictured below. After it flew off I noticed another photographer walking towards me and we started to chat. He then pulled out his phone to show me a picture of some wood ducks he had taken at the refuge and I immediately recognized them as the same photos that convinced me to make the trek to that location. So in a funny coincidence I met @gpsman without any previous planning. Definitely an added bonus to the day.

Anyway - I wasn't planning on capturing the takeoff so my shutter speed was much too slow, but it kinda works. I know there is motion blur, but my real question is would you clone out the cattails? If so, which ones - all of the extraneous ones? Just under the tip of the tail? Just under the left wing? The ones in the lower left? I know it's a matter of personal preference but me, myself and I have been arguing amongst ourselves and I'm not sure who's winning.

All other critique is sincerely appreciated (and requested).

- Rob
View attachment 58383
Make a copy, edit it the way you like stand back 6 feet form your screen and evaluate.

I think the cat tail closet to the foot makes part of the story insinuating a take off point, i would clone out the one near the tail feathers leave the rest as it adds.
I would also consider flipping the image for evaluation purposes only, often it can add to an image.

(unless i miss understood) you used 2 Tcs ? to get the reach i assume, and basically wide open to get the bokah, do you think it was at the expense of shutter speed.

I am guessing then SS is a issue as is maybe focus, only an assumption.

Did you consider using F8 ?

May i ask did you use pin point dynamic focus or matrix.

Only an opinion

Back