To zoom or not to zoom... Looking for a lens for my second body

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi guys,

Thanks for all your opinions, tips and thoughts. Just thought I would report back on my decision and purchase.
I went for door number three (obviously) and purchased the AF-S NIKKOR 200-400mm f/4G ED VR II. After all the advice I did end up deciding on the versatility of a zoom lens, but stil wanted something relatively fast and relatively affordable.

Over time I may end up trading in my 500 f/4 for a 600 f/4 for the more distant wildlife when I am not in a blind, but for now, I hope to get good results with the combination of a 500 f/4 prime and the 200-400 f/4 zoom.

I have no idea yet how well this lens will perform with my Z9, but as the 500 f/4 performs very well with it, I don't think I will have any issues with it. Overall I am still not impressed at all with the ISO performance of the Z9 compared to my D6, so every bit of light I can capture to keep ISO lower helps.
It should be delivered coming Tuesday and I have another bird hide booked for the last week of April, so that is when I am going to put it through its paces.
The 200-400mm if a fantastic lens - It works really great on the Z9.
Some people dont like the weight but you cant have everything...🦘

The 200-400 f/4 is a better lens on the Z cameras than it was on a DSLR. Focus seems sharper to me - especially when you add a teleconverter occasionally. The 200-400 and the 500mm options you have provide a very solid and well rounded kit.

The 200-400 f/4 is a better lens on the Z cameras than it was on a DSLR. Focus seems sharper to me - especially when you add a teleconverter occasionally. The 200-400 and the 500mm options you have provide a very solid and well rounded kit.
I'm reluctant to use a teleconverter on such a stunning lens as the 200-400mm or the 500mm.🦘

Back