Tonight's full "super blue" moon.

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

So…was it a super moon…or a blue moon…or a combo blue super moon…all 3 of which are slightly different with the latter being the least common since it requires both of the other two to be true. Super is at perigee in the orbit and blue is 2nd one in a calendar month.
It was both blue and "super". We had 2 full moons in August which meant the last one was a "blue moon." Also this one was a "super moon" which I believe means it is at its closest point in its orbit around the earth. So it was a "super blue moon." Hype kind of name but still cool to see.

Glad you weren't offended. If you had posted in a presentation forum this would be the posted guideline:

"Also, please keep in mind the posts in this section are for the original thread poster to display their images. As such, please refrain from adding your own images to a thread in this section that's already started (unless invited to do so by the original poster). If you have photos to show, please start a new thread."
Like I said, I enjoyed seeing everyone's photos and how different the moon looked at different times of night and under different weather conditions. Even in the presentation threads, I wouldn't mind if others posted a photo. I just don't get excited about that kind of stuff although some folks would and I understand the rule.
On this thread, as the OP, I was not offended in the least. I thought the thread was fun to see.

It was both blue and "super". We had 2 full moons in August which meant the last one was a "blue moon." Also this one was a "super moon" which I believe means it is at its closest point in its orbit around the earth. So it was a "super blue moon." Hype kind of name but still cool to see.
Ive heard it said the blue part comes from having an extra moon in a season, but I've seen it described both ways.

Back