Topaz DeNoise (3.7.2) or Photo AI (1.3.0) for wildlife after recent updates

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

agrumpyoldsod

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I use Topaz AI products on almost all my output files -- I "bought-into" Photo AI when it was free and was initially fairly happy with it, but continued to use DeNoise AI as my prefered tool for polishing my output files (for screen). Overtime as Photo AI was improved I drifted into using Photo AI more and more frequently - but NO LONGER, not since update 1.3.0 -- now I find wildlife images (specifically big cars and other furry animals) processed with it are vastly over sharpened and see that user choices have been reduced. I no longer use Photo AI and am back to polishing my output with DeNoise AI -- where I can make simple light adjustments to batches of images without worry. I find that DeNoise AI works out a reasonable setting for DeNoise but also tends to over sharpen - but I can simply change one slider (typically reducing this to 15 of lower) and go ahead and process a whole batch (or sequence of shots) with confidence. Whereas one simply cannot make batch adjustments with Photo AI - one has to apply setting changes to each image - after the AI engine has done its thing - and even then I find the result less pleasing to images from DeNoise AI.
When shooting with a Nikon Z9 Lossless RAW I already run all images I want to work on through DxO Pure RAW 3 (XD processes) to generate a linear DNG file and still consider there is an improvement to be gained by running the finished files through Topaz AI. This simply reflects my continued distrust of ACR/LRC's raw conversion of these files. I do not shoot HE/HE*.
The processing time on DeNOise is about 2x the speed of those for PhotoAI once selections have been made and vastly quicker when choosing settings for each image/batch of images.

I am trying to use Photo AI more since I do believe that at some point Topaz will discontinue DeNoise AI and combine DeNoise, Sharpen, and Gigpixel into Photo AI.

You can apply current settings to a batch of images by selecting the three dots on the image strip at the bottom of Photo AI and choose Apply-Current Settings to all. In preference I have the subject, face, sharpen, and auto-upscaling set to none.

I reverted to Topaz Photo AI version 1.2.10 due to the changes to and the results from Photo AI version 1.3, not impressed.
There quite a few negative comments on the Topaz Photo AI forum about version 1.3.
I have the same settings for preferences in Photo AI as @MartyD.

I have been trying it out, but am not a big fan of photo AI. It just does not do what I would do to enhance an image and many times ends up with a result that looks over processed. If my image is sharp to start with, and maybe a touch noisy, then all I need is LrC Detail and Noise panels. If the image is a bit soft or even blurry, even a bit noisy, Sharpen AI is the right tool. I rarely use DeNoise AI. I use to use Gigapixel AI with a heavy crop, but find LrC Enhance does a real nice job as well.

Topaz has a history of abandoning apps they are no longer interested in supporting. If Topaz is moving towards one app, Photo AI, then Topaz must allow us to use Sharpen AI and DeNoise AI within that app with all their current features / adjustments. I am also seeing Adobe adding more and more "machine learning" tools in both LrC and PS. If Adobe succeeds, then we won't be needing Topaz for too much longer.

I do likePhoto AI, but since getting Pure Raw 3 i'm finding it does a better job of removing noise with no artifacts that photo ai sometimes gives. It worked so well on an iso 8000 image i took in low light recently.

And now we have the Adobe update to compare as well. I think the issue of adjustments and issues with Topaz has happened enough that it gives me pause. I am happy that I read this material first, but it seems like you never know if the next upgrade will actually be an upgrade or downgrade with them. I hope this new Adobe work is a positive.

Has anyone watch what Brian Matiash says in his video.

Back