Tough exposure conditions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This shot was taken near Mindo, Ecuador. The flower was on a terrace of our hotel and was visited by this Rufous-tailed Hummingbird regularly and he would frequently flare his tail when approaching. Unfortunately, although the trees in the BG were far away, they were bathed in bright sunshine. The sun is coming from my left and although it was early in the morning, it still produced a "spotlight" type of lighting. Looks like it was flashed but was not. I had to bring the exposure of the bird up and the BG down considerably. Even though this was shot with an R7 at ISO 5000, I thought it held up well. Shot with an R7, 100-500 at 169mm. SS 1/2000, ISO 5000, f/7.1, EC of +1.0. I had a difficult time deciding on crop. Approx. 33% cropped away from R and bottom.

Rufous-tailed-Hummingbird.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This shot was taken near Mindo, Ecuador. The flower was on a terrace of our hotel and was visited by this Rufous-tailed Hummingbird regularly and he would frequently flare his tail when approaching. Unfortunately, although the trees in the BG were far away, they were bathed in bright sunshine. The sun is coming from my left and although it was early in the morning, it still produced a "spotlight" type of lighting. Looks like it was flashed but was not. I had to bring the exposure of the bird up and the BG down considerably. Even though this was shot with an R7 at ISO 5000, I thought it held up well. Shot with an R7, 100-500 at 169mm. SS 1/2000, ISO 5000, f/7.1, EC of +1.0. I had a difficult time deciding on crop. Approx. 33% cropped away from R and bottom.

View attachment 56571
I really love the shot. IMHO this shot is already very good, I would not brighten the background too much, IIM, I would lower the background high light perhaps.

Thanks sharing.

Oliver

I really love the shot. IMHO this shot is already very good, I would not brighten the background too much, IIM, I would lower the background high light perhaps.

Thanks sharing.

Oliver
Thank you for your comments. I have already brought the BG down significantly in ACR. If I try to bring it down more, it gives the bird a "punched out" appearance.

Back