Travel tripod

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Its on sale
Is it worth taking it along to Florida?

I would mainly want it to take self portraits of me and my wife.
Its a bit short though.
But its carbon, light weight.

I don’t have to buy this because its on sale, If there is something better, I might go for it.

Thanks!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1725683-REG
Is it better in some way than tripods you already have?

It likely depends on how you use the tripod. I have a small, lightweight travel tripod that I use. It is a carbon Benro Tripster. It’s relatively solid and works quite well. It is significantly shorter than a larger tripod and not quite as solid. I don’t use a tripod for wildlife very frequently and my travel tripod would be my last choice for that. If you’re looking for using it for things other than wildlife, a travel tripod would be beneficial. I cannot speak to the specific SmallRig one you mentioned as I’ve never seen it or used it, but read reviews carefully to see how stable others find it and what camera they are using it for. Many small, lightweight tripods are known to be flimsy and not stable.

It likely depends on how you use the tripod. I have a small, lightweight travel tripod that I use. It is a carbon Benro Tripster. It’s relatively solid and works quite well. It is significantly shorter than a larger tripod and not quite as solid. I don’t use a tripod for wildlife very frequently and my travel tripod would be my last choice for that. If you’re looking for using it for things other than wildlife, a travel tripod would be beneficial. I cannot speak to the specific SmallRig one you mentioned as I’ve never seen it or used it, but read reviews carefully to see how stable others find it and what camera they are using it for. Many small, lightweight tripods are known to be flimsy and not stable.
Wildlife I shoot handheld.
I just need it for selfies.

Wildlife I shoot handheld.
I just need it for selfies.
A travel tripod should work perfectly for that and even long exposure stuff. The one I have is not available any longer but it works quite well for those things. I linked it below so you can compare it to the smallrig or others. Like i mentioned, read reviews to see what people say about stability. You don’t want it to easily tip over because of camera weight or light gust of wind.

Can’t comment on the specific item you’re asking about, but I can’t justify the weight, size and bulk of any tripod just for the ability to take selfies. I recognize that others may disagree, but for selfies, I use my iPhone. That said, when traveling, I often take a small, RRS tabletop tripod with small RRS ballhead, but I use it for regular photography, never for snapshot selfies.

I realize the cost of the RRS combo is 3 times the price of the one you are looking at, but the ability to carry the tiny RRS rig in my pocket and the fact that I use it quite often is well worth the additional $’s to me. Btw - it is extremely stable item that I seldom freestand. I can mount pro bodies and heavy pro glass by propping the rig in the tripod clamp on a rock, tree, parked car , lamppost, church pew etc. rock solid stability when propped against inanimate object.

Back