How to switch from a PeakDesigns Slide to a tripod in the field

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm looking for my first tripod and figure I'll start with a travel-style to keep in my backpack. I mainly shoot while hiking, and I figure I'll only use the tripod when an opportunity arises. For example, when I spot an owl or want to take a quick video. At least while seeing if I like using them as part of a potential upgrade path.

Some beginner questions:
  1. I'm currently using a Peak Design Slide strap. One end is mounted to the body. One end is mounted to the telephoto foot. I think this poses a problem with the introduction of a tripod because the telephoto foot is normally connected to a tripod?. This mean I'd need to unscrew the Slide's mount from the foot using an alen wrench, replace it with something like an arca, and then mount it to the tripod. All in the field. Is there a quicker way to approach this? Is it a possibility to keep the Slide where it is and to instead mount an arca to the body for cases where I needed a tripod in a pinch? Or instead, would it be a better tradeoff to mount both ends of the Slide to the body and save the foot for the arca? I'm not sure if that would put too much stress on the lens. I'm open to solutions that don't involve the Slide, but I'd like to keep the combo of a strap and a tripod if possible.

2. I'm eyeing the Peak Design Travel Tripod but am seeing a lot of YouTube reviews for Ulanzi. I can't tell if they're a legit competitor or are paid-for reviews. I did a search here and didn't see any results. Any experience with that company or other ones to consider? Hoping to keep things below $300.

Last edited:
Are you looking to buy new, or are you open to used? As an example, I just purchased a used Gitzo Travelers Series 0 (carbon fiber) for $250 shipped. Downside of used is you might get something that is truly worn and not in great shape, but I've had good success with used tripods and heads from established sellers. Might be worth considering, depending on your needs.

To your specific question, I have no experience with Ulanzi. Good luck with your search!

For travel I only use a monopod if I take a heavier lens. The heavy lens will be for birds and animals, so the flexibility of the monopod I find useful. I’ve a MeFoto Carbon Roadtrip tripod that’s really light, and off that, one leg comes off to create the monopod .

I'm looking for my first tripod and figure I'll start with a travel-style to keep in my backpack. I mainly shoot while hiking, and I figure I'll only use the tripod when an opportunity arises. For example, when I spot an owl or want to take a quick video. At least while seeing if I like using them as part of a potential upgrade path.

Some beginner questions:
  1. I'm currently using a Peak Design Slide strap. One end is mounted to the body. One end is mounted to the telephoto foot. I think this poses a problem with the introduction of a tripod because the telephoto foot is normally connected to a tripod?. This mean I'd need to unscrew the Slide's mount from the foot using an alen wrench, replace it with something like an arca, and then mount it to the tripod. All in the field. Is there a quicker way to approach this? Is it a possibility to keep the Slide where it is and to instead mount an arca to the body for cases where I needed a tripod in a pinch? Or instead, would it be a better tradeoff to mount both ends of the Slide to the body and save the foot for the arca? I'm not sure if that would put too much stress on the lens. I'm open to solutions that don't involve the Slide, but I'd like to keep the combo of a strap and a tripod if possible.

2. I'm eyeing the Peak Design Travel Tripod but am seeing a lot of YouTube reviews for Ulanzi. I can't tell if they're a legit competitor or are paid-for reviews. I did a search here and didn't see any results. Any experience with that company or other ones to consider? Hoping to keep things below $300.
Generally speaking…putting one end of a strap on the lens foot and the other on the body is a bad idea because it puts extra stress on the lens mount. Lenses with feet are designed to be on the strap there and not the body. If you want a secondary safety strap then fasten it to the lens foot as well and the strap.

For tripod use…take the strap off the foot and put the foot in the tripod. If I’m in a situation where that’s likely to happen more than once I use QD connectors for the strap to foot connection…if not I use the screw in connectors from Black Rapid or similar. Ads are pretty unlikely to fail but more likely than the QD is…so if the6start to wear the QD should be replaced and the foot if the female QD receptacle wears. like Patrick I tend to use a monopod more than a tripod and the latter usually only comes along for waterfalls because of the potential bracketing and slow shutter speeds for the blurry water. OTOH…with a wide lens and a modern mirrorless body…you can get away with handholding up to about a second especially if there’s a tree or rock handy to brace you. Hudson Henry has posted some shots he took of waterfalls at most of a second and the VR/IBIS combo really helps.

Back