Triple Trouble

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was eating dinner when I noticed this triple pose at our nearby owl box. I about broke my neck grabbing up the camera for this shot even though it was almost dark. They were accommodating and stuck the pose for me to get this shot. I really had to massage it and had to settle for this amount of noise. I thought its novelty was worth sharing. D500, Nikon 200-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/200th, 550mm, ISO 4000, monopod/gimbal head, AI Clear, cropped to 2726 x 3193.
SQUIRRELS.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I ordered this box to hopefully attract Western Screech Owls. It is (was) the proper size, and hole diameter when I installed it however Gray Squirrels promptly took up residence in it and chewed the factory hole out to twice its original size. Even though I get some cute shots of the little squirrels with this situation, I still lament that no owls were able to take up residence in it. I'm pretty sure that it is now out of the question with its new, giant hole. This really was an "owl box", not a squirrel box. Oh well...

I ordered this box to hopefully attract Western Screech Owls. It is (was) the proper size, and hole diameter when I installed it however Gray Squirrels promptly took up residence in it and chewed the factory hole out to twice its original size. Even though I get some cute shots of the little squirrels with this situation, I still lament that no owls were able to take up residence in it. I'm pretty sure that it is now out of the question with its new, giant hole. This really was an "owl box", not a squirrel box. Oh well...
Just screw a metal lid over the hole to the owl size, I'm sure it is possible, then the squatters cannot bite it bigger! :sneaky:

Great shot!
Yeah, as posted above it's not hard to fix the box. I've helped out with the local Bluebird project and we repair boxes all the time often just screwing a new piece of wood with the proper size hole over the front of the box. You basically just cut out a square piece of wood a bit larger than the oversized hole and drill a properly sized hole in this piece and then screw it right onto the front of the box. Making it out of metal as suggested above can help keep the squirrels from enlarging it again but avoid sharp edges in the metal.

Back