Tripod Advice

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi,

Hoping for some opinions on selecting a Gitzo tripod. I currently own a Gitzo GT2542T 2 series traveller and a Gitzo series 4, 5 section systematic. I own Gitzo series 3, RRS BH-40 and RRS BH-55 ball heads and am looking to add a lightweight video or gimbal head for wildlife. Mostly my photography is landscape with a bit of wildlife/birding thrown in (usually handheld with occasional tripod use). Heaviest lens I currently own is actually the Nikon Z70-200 closely followed by the 400 4.5 (both used with TC's when needed) though I intend to get the 800 pf at some point in the future. I currently own the Z7 but am saving for a Z8 shortly to give you an idea of weight.

I am totally in love with the BH-55 head and am desperate to find a way to keep using it but am finding the weight combo with the systematic a little bit too much. It is also a bit too low for general landscape use as I am 5'9" (1.75m). The BH-55 is way too large on the traveller so I am wondering if I sold the systematic and downsized to a 2 series mountaineer would the head be too much for that tripod or should I go for a series 3 instead? IF the 2 series mountaineer idea works out I may be able to sell the traveller too and revert to a single tripod set up.

My other options are to switch to a 3 series 4 section mountaineer ( lighter but it is even shorter than the systematic), switch to the 3 series 4 section systematic (has the height, super sturdy and gets very low to the ground but only saves 200g but is this overkill?) or the 3 series 4 section long mountaineer (saves 280g gives excellent height options but doesn't compact very small).

Which legs would you choose if in my position?

PS I don't hate the BH-40 but would prefer to keep using the BH-55.

I know there are many great tripod options from the likes of RRS and Feisol but unfortunately, living in the UK, there are no reliable distributors and second hand tripods very rarely turn up so I am sticking with Gitzo.

These two I find interesting. The Chinese one is a bit iffy concerning intellectual property rights as lot of their stuff looks like a (good) copy. Both have EU distributors.

Hi, thanks for the post.

Yeah, Leofoto tripods are pretty good in use leg locks aren't up to Gitzo standard but they are better than Benro etc, I have owned one in the past but unfortunately you can't get spares for them easily and the one I had (324 CEX I think) had a flimsy plastic shim breakup in one of the leg joints. Couldn't get a replacement shim so the tripod went to the scrap heap. Won't buy one again unfortunately. Kingjoy look quite good too but heavy. Rollei, I have no experience of but TBH I am not looking to switch brands as I love the quality of Gitzo, just trying to find the right one to go with. Not too bothered about the cost of them.

Back