Tripod Ball Head Recommendations

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Pat Cassity

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am looking recommendations for a ball head that will accommodate a RRS Arca Release Clamp. Will use with z8 and z9 with lenses up 400 4.5. Thanks!

Thanks Nimi. Do you actually have this one? I like the fact that you can buy it without the clamp but I am little concerned about the control setup.

I do, two as a matter of fact, it's my ride-or-die ballhead. One is used in very harsh environment (tropical beach year-round), and all the maintenance I ever do with it is shower with it after each session.

FWIW I’ve been using a BH-55 for years and it’s an excellent ball head with very good controls. The large locking knob is solid and secure and both the friction control and the panning knob have good fine adjustment range.

Unlike many other ball heads I’ve owned over the years there’s little to no sag after locking the main knob even with heavy gear mounted. That sag that comes from many less expensive ball heads is really frustrating when trying to lock things down for a long exposure.

There are few situations where the ball head is the best option. I have two ball heads that I have not used now for many years. For landscapes and product photography the Arca-Swiss D4 GP is far and away the best head. For super telephotos a gimbal head or a video head work the best. Most macros I have shot were hand held with off camera flash. With a monopod I use a tilt head as it weighs less and is easier to control with the camera and lens pivoting only on one axis.

A ball head works well with the Sidekick gimbal arm and so one can convert a very good gimbal setup to an OK landscape setup in seconds. This is the only situation where a ball head provides any real advantages over other heads.

I also agree with RRS BH-55. I've owned it for many years and love everything about it except its weight. I'm pretty sure you could also get away with a RRS BH-40 with that set up as well. Not as robust but still really sturdy.

I have the BH-55 and use with lenses up to Sony 200-600 (it can hold more, this is just my largest lens). I love it. My favorite feature is that the friction adjustment knob is strong enough it can hold even big lenses without letting them just flop after loosening the main locking knob. You can loosen main locking knob and fine tune position as well depending on how you set the friction lever. As the member above mentioned I get little to no sag when locking down.

If you get the version With the lever lock be sure you check your arca type plates that are on camera are tight in the clamp with the lever closed, some more generic plates have had enough variances to slide in the clamp when closed.

I have the BH-55 and use with lenses up to Sony 200-600 (it can hold more, this is just my largest lens). I love it. My favorite feature is that the friction adjustment knob is strong enough it can hold even big lenses without letting them just flop after loosening the main locking knob. You can loosen main locking knob and fine tune position as well depending on how you set the friction lever. As the member above mentioned I get little to no sag when locking down.

If you get the version With the lever lock be sure you check your arca type plates that are on camera are tight in the clamp with the lever closed, some more generic plates have had enough variances to slide in the clamp when closed.
One of the reasons I ordered my Markins head with a screw clamp - too many plates of varying degrees of size differences.

--Ken

Arca Swiss Z1G-DP

Ditto the RRS BH55. Used it for 15+ years now and it still feels brand new, still works like it's brand new, never a problem. I live on the gulf coast so I use it on the beach with fine sand, salt spray, in the rain, in the swamp & marsh, never an issue. Absolutely one of my best purchases ever.

One of the reasons I ordered my Markins head with a screw clamp - too many plates of varying degrees of size differences.

--Ken
Very true. I purchased a Sigma 70-200 lens (the lens has an Arca Swiss foot) and the RRS clamp would not hold the foot securely at all. Ended up having the put a RRS plate on it. I use the original lever clamp; I understand the newer lever clamp can be adjusted so it can be used on 3rd party Arca Swiss plates & feet. rrs b2-40-lr-sharpened.jpg
rrs ARC-LR_manin-2__11912-sharpened.jpg

Very true. I purchased a Sigma 70-200 lens (the lens has an Arca Swiss foot) and the RRS clamp would not hold the foot securely at all. Ended up having the put a RRS plate on it. I use the original lever clamp; I understand the newer lever clamp can be adjusted so it can be used on 3rd party Arca Swiss plates & feet.View attachment 89515
View attachment 89516
Yes, the lever clamps can be adjusted on some ballheads, but that seems to be a fiddly solution IMHO, albeit it is a solution. I also prefer screw heads since there is no chance of me catching the lever on something by accident. That is a personal preference, and I know others will not be concerned about something like this. Lever clamps have advantages as well, and I cannot disagree with those that prefer them. I think that we are fortunate to have both options and folks can choose what works best for their workflow.

--Ken

Ballheads are rarely the best solution IMHO. Ask yourself how often you use that third axis of rotation (roll). With a ballhead you always have to adjust for that. For me, a far better solution is a 2-axis head (I like the Acratech Pano Head, but there are others) on a leveling base. Over the years I've owned 2 BH-55s as well as various alternatives from most of the big manufacturers (Arca, Markins, Kirk, Manfrotto etc.), but now my only ballhead is an Acratech GP-SS which gets only rare use, on my macro rig.

My specific criticisms of the BH-55 are its massive weight, difficulty in cleaning, the risk of sideways flop with heavier rigs, and I found that the composition would move slightly when locking down the knob. It sure looks cool tho, and is built to typical RRS standards (superbly).

C

Is this for wildlife, landscape or something else? Use case should govern your selection. I have had a BH55 for over 15 years. Top of line construction and stability. But it is heavy at 2 pounds. I used to add a Wimberly Sidekick for my long lenses, but for the last year I have been using a Leofoto PG-1 for my long lenses and the BH55 for landscape. That said, I have been looking for something lighter as the BH55 is really overkill for landscape lenses. Been looking at Acratech. They weigh half as much.

Back