Tripod collar ring wont tight/lock... Nikon Z400 2.8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi there,

I've had the Z400 2.8 for a few days now and I noticed something. When I put the camera with lens attached in the bag that came with the lens, the tripod collar ring is twisted. I Tighten the tripod collar ring mounting screw, but find that I can keep turning the ring... It won't stay in place. Am I missing something??

Hi KD

Congratulations on your new Z400TC was your wait time a long one?
Not sure what you mean by the "tripod collar is twisted"? As to have that happen would have meant a serious force to dislodge that collar/ring off center, it's a hefty piece!
On one occasion with my 180-400TC my guide dropped this lens damaging and cross threading the mounting screw which meant a trip to Nikon repair centre.

Can you supply a photo or video showing the exact issue please? This is certainly not normal.

Hi KD

Congratulations on your new Z400TC was your wait time a long one?
Not sure what you mean by the "tripod collar is twisted"? As to have that happen would have meant a serious force to dislodge that collar/ring off center, it's a hefty piece!
On one occasion with my 180-400TC my guide dropped this lens damaging and cross threading the mounting screw which meant a trip to Nikon repair centre.

Can you supply a photo or video showing the exact issue please? This is certainly not normal.
I can keep turning the ring even if I tighten the mounting screw all the way

I can keep turning the ring even if I tighten the mounting screw all the way
Very odd indeed, if it were a cross thread, you would have definite resistance, I gather you are tightening it in a clockwise direction, right?
Need to see how the collar sits, if it's not seated properly, there will be an issue, can you take a closeup on that area please and post.

I created an account just to reply to you, because this problem is bull****. I have the exact same problem with my 400 TC which I received in April. Unfortunately, I did not notice until after 30 days had passed, and I could no longer return it. I called Nikon and they said I have to send it into them. But to add insurance on the shipment would cost me about $400 and Nikon will not pay for the shipping even though it is under warranty. I asked them how long to fix it they said they do not know. I asked if took them too long (like many months) if they would send it back to me, and they said they would not do that. So I am in a pickle because I don't want to pay for insurance on the shipping and I also go on photography trips every couple months so I cannot go too long without the lens as this is my first and only super telephoto lens. I do not use tripods so this has not affected my shooting at all, but a 14k lens should not have this defect. I know it is a defect cause the 100-400 uses the same type of tripod collar/knob and that works fine. I guess my advice for you would be to make the retailer you bought it from take care of it, and hope they don't put you in the back of the line for a replacement.

It sounds like the receiving hole (or whatever it's called) in the collar isn't threaded correctly or the threads are stripped. Is the collar removable so that it could be returned/exchanged for one without the defect? Might be a case of bad quality control somewhere along the line.

but a 14k lens should not have this defect. I know it is a defect cause the 100-400 uses the same type of tripod collar/knob and that works fine. I guess my advice for you would be to make the retailer you bought it from take care of it, and hope they don't put you in the back of the line for a replacement.
Totally agree, this is completely unacceptable for any Nikkor lens, let alone one costing US$14K. This is really poor quality control granted the low production numbers!

@Kadaver81
I would be taking this straight back to your Nikon retailer and insisting on a very quick repair, OR a replacement, a problem for the latter is that replacement could indeed be a very long wait. I wish you the best of luck in getting this sorted.
I will be paying close attention to my Z400TC arriving the end of next week.

Evidently the screw used is not long enough and a longer one is needed. Lots of quality control problems as manufacturers are having to go to secondary, and often new sources for their components. New Ford 1/2 ton pickups are having wheels fall off as a result of axle bolts shearing off and this is a quality control problem and a very serious one as it could result in the death of the people inside the vehicle.

If Nikon does not acknowledge the problem then there is no guarantee that the lens that is "repaired" will not suffer from the same defect. My 600mm f/4E lens has a SWM autofocus motor die and Nikon has evidently had so many of them fail that they ran out of inventory and I had to wait 4 months to have the lens repaired - which I then promptly sold.

I would check as to whether your photo gear insurance would cover a lens lost or stolen in transit and avoid paying the high cost from UPS or FedEx. Even insuring it for $5,000 will result in more careful tracking by FedEX during transit. I would also never use USPS or UPS for something like this as they have no real package tracking between when it is picked up and when it is delivered.

I save 15-20 percent by initiating the shipment online after searching for discount codes as compared to if I walk in to a FedEx or UPS store or a US Post Office.

Knowing that this could be a problem it would make sense to have the Nikon dealer test the collar before shipping it out to a buyer. Far easier for them to send it back to Nikon as a "new" lens than for the customer to do so.

Last edited:
Thnx for the replys. I think its unacceptable that this happens with a lens that is labeled premium.... And if I read the story of @damocles11 im not the first one with this problem. And i think its not fair that Nikon wont pay the insurance for the shipping, because they have defaulted. You cant help it they made a faulty product. I went to the Nikon repair Center today and they said they had so much work, they are going to take a look at my lens after 2 weeks probably..... Than if they are not able to repair it , they will have to order Parts. And told me that it could take a month, but also 3 or more. I am even thinking about to leave the 400 there and get the 600. The retailer told me he has one at the end of the month. Im not sure what to do now

Evidently the screw used is not long enough and a longer one is needed. Lots of quality control problems as manufacturers are having to go to secondary, and often new sources for their components.
@Kadaver81
If true, that is shocking, which means they were not fully tested when leaving the factory........just bizarre, and to not pay for return insurance is also appalling. And I have heard of similar with issues with return shipping/insurance in the US, here in OZ, Nikon have been far more forgiving I've found.
I must say in all the many many Nikkor lenses I've purchased over my 40+ yr association with them I've found the quality to be very good indeed, which is why this now is concerning.

Nikon has changed with regard to customer service and warranty repairs based on my own experiences with them over the past 35 years. The lens warranty coverage dropped from 5 years to only 1 year. They have automated the call-in support so one cannot talk to an actual technician. They have stopped maintaining a parts inventory for even very expensive lenses that are still in production and currently being sold (as with the 600mm f/4E lens SWM AF motors).

This is not unique to Nikon by any means and I found Canon to be no better at resolving problems with their pro cameras and lenses in my dealings with them as a CPS member.

They have automated the call-in support so one cannot talk to an actual technician.
I hear & agree on most of what you say, the quality has always been there, but yes the warrenty/coverage has diminished. Here in OZ you can speak with an actual technician over the phone regarding issues, that at least for now has not changed. I can also remember when Nikon also offered a worldwide warranty on lenses, sadly that went bye bye many years ago.

Last edited:
Came across a reviw that compared the 400mm f/2.8 to the 400mm f/4.5. In it was this comment regarding the lens collar:

“I do have one minor complaint about durability, though. Nikon has changed the tripod collar locking mechanism, which has resulted in two things. First, tightening with a small amount of force fixes the lens reliably in the collar. But second, if you regularly use more force (AKA as much as it used to take on previous Nikon telephotos), the relatively delicate mechanism can be damaged. This happened to the 400mm f/2.8 during my tests. It was not expensive to replace, but even so, I made sure to tighten the lens more gently in the future.”

Watching the video it appears that the screw tightens and stops turning, so it’s not stripped. I suspect that the screw is either too short or there is an issue with the liner below it. As you say, not what you expect when you drop that sort of cash. So much for quality control.

Hi there,

I've had the Z400 2.8 for a few days now and I noticed something. When I put the camera with lens attached in the bag that came with the lens, the tripod collar ring is twisted. I Tighten the tripod collar ring mounting screw, but find that I can keep turning the ring... It won't stay in place. Am I missing something??

The tripod collar ring attachment screw can get "stuck" at the ends of its rotation - I "VERY GENTLY" used a mole rip to "loosen" mine when it got stuck and then it worked fine. Just try not to "over-tighten" this screw at either end (loose or tight) -- all it is doing is applying friction to stop the lens camera rotating - it is not supporting anything so can be fairly loose.

Screenshot 2022-11-04 at 13.43.38.png

IMG_0941.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

After having a look at my 100-400 and the similarly designed 500pf, I suspect that the end of the tightening bolt has a hard rubber, delrin or nylon tip on it that actually contacts the lens barrel and provides the friction. This provides a non-metal to metal contact that shouldn't shed bit of metal when rotated in a partially tightened state. I would imagine that over-tightening could easily damage the tip of that bolt or whatever the actual mechanism internally might be.

Not really an excuse for it failing or Nikon's absurd approach to dealing with this issue, but there is really no reason to be over-tightening that particular bolt. On all my lenses that have a tripod collar design like that, the tightening friction is fairly progressive, so that if necessary, one can rotate the lens/body to portrait without having to loosen and then tighten the bolt.

You might see if you can find a local camera repair shop that can do the work for you...though I understand those are becoming few and far between.

Best of luck!

Sounds like the OP was close enough to take it to Nikon himself. Last year I had to ship my 500E back for swm replacement. I was going to take it to the local UPS Store as they are closer and have better hours. I looked up the shipping and insurance rates on line at the UPS website. Big difference when I got to the store, the actual shipping rate was the same but the store wanted over $300 for the insurance where the UPS site indicated it was under $100. I ended up taking it to UPS counter directly, but I did need extra paperwork due to the high value it was insured for.

Last edited:
Hi there, thnx for all the replys. I just picked up the lens, they Fixed it within 1 day! That's good service. Now I have to decide whether I want to keep this lens or whether I go for the 600. 🤔

My long awaited Z400TC arrived this afternoon, very excited! (y)
However sadly, this lens has also suffered the same locking nut issue will not tighten down sufficiently to completely lock the tripod collar ring, this was the first thing I checked
upon opening the box and unwrapping the lens, even doing a video to show Nikon the fault straight out of the box. :sneaky:
This is such a poor quality control issue for a company product of high value made IN JAPAN, it seems this has effected the latest batch of Z400TC's.

I have 2 trips to the Serengeti, the first in less than 2 weeks and the next early FEB, so for these 2 trips it won't really be an issue granted I'm not shooting from a tripod.
But will advise Nikon Australia tomorrow to let them know of this issue.

My long awaited Z400TC arrived this afternoon, very excited! (y)
However sadly, this lens has also suffered the same locking nut issue will not tighten down sufficiently to completely lock the tripod collar ring, this was the first thing I checked
upon opening the box and unwrapping the lens, even doing a video to show Nikon the fault straight out of the box. :sneaky:
This is such a poor quality control issue for a company product of high value made IN JAPAN, it seems this has effected the latest batch of Z400TC's.

I have 2 trips to the Serengeti, the first in less than 2 weeks and the next early FEB, so for these 2 trips it won't really be an issue granted I'm not shooting from a tripod.
But will advise Nikon Australia tomorrow to let them know of this is
It's great that your long-awaited lens has arrived, but how annoying to hear that you have exactly the same problem. You wouldn't expect this from a lens in this price range... Fortunately, the Nikon repair center was only an hour and a half away. (longer than that is almost impossible in the Netherlands) And they had it repaired within 1 day. I think they are the same parts as on the z400mm 4.5.
I hope it is resolved quickly for you. Despite this, have fun with this fantastic lens.

It's great that your long-awaited lens has arrived, but how annoying to hear that you have exactly the same problem. You wouldn't expect this from a lens in this price range... Fortunately, the Nikon repair center was only an hour and a half away. (longer than that is almost impossible in the Netherlands) And they had it repaired within 1 day. I think they are the same parts as on the z400mm 4.5.
I hope it is resolved quickly for you. Despite this, have fun with this fantastic lens.
Good to know that it can be resolved quickly, did they give you an explanation as to what they did to fix the issue?

Im not saying there isnt an issue..... but just how solid does the collar have to be locked? I feel like I only tighten them enough to keep them from spinning freely. Ive always felt like fully locking lens collars and gimbal knobs was counterproductive. I like a little give when there is a chance something might get bumped. Also if its not totally locked out you can can still position the camera without dorking around with knobs in a hurry. When tightened is there still enough drag to keep the lens in position? Or does the locking knob do nothing?

Good to know that it can be resolved quickly, did they give you an explanation as to what they did to fix the issue?
I called the repair center today and asked what they did. the technician who worked on my lens was not present and the lady I had on the phone could not tell me exactly what they did. but if there's a nikon repair center near you, they'll probably fix it in a day

Back