Tripod shoulder pad

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Over the years I’ve tried various methods for padding tripod legs to be easier on my shoulders but haven’t really found anything that great. Normally I walk between 2-4 miles whenever I go out and whenever carrying a large lens such as a 600 prime, the shoulders take a beating. Anyhow I recently purchased a shoulder pad built for tripods made by lens coat and it has been a fantastic addition. There are three different variations but I purchased the simple pad. I highly recommend this setup.
IMG_9501.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_9500.jpeg
IMG_9499.jpeg

Thanks for detailing this setup. I too have struggled to find a great solution. Most recently I tried an Oxmen Tool Shoulder Pad. It is a versatile accessory designed to provide comfort and support when carrying heavy loads on your shoulder. While it is primarily marketed for use with tools, it can also be adapted to carry photography equipment effectively. It features a wide, cushioned surface that helps distribute weight evenly across your shoulder. This reduces strain and fatigue, allowing you to carry heavier gear for longer periods without discomfort. It‘s made from sturdy materials, nylon and reinforced fabric. Additionally, it is lightweight and easy to fold or roll up, making it convenient for travel or storage when not in use. It costs a little more than a Lens Cost setup (about $46) but it can be used with multiple pieces of equipment and setups. It can be worn on left or right shoulder. I wear it on top of a jacket or shirt.

Over the years I’ve tried various methods for padding tripod legs to be easier on my shoulders but haven’t really found anything that great. Normally I walk between 2-4 miles whenever I go out and whenever carrying a large lens such as a 600 prime, the shoulders take a beating. Anyhow I recently purchased a shoulder pad built for tripods made by lens coat and it has been a fantastic addition. There are three different variations but I purchased the simple pad. I highly recommend this setup.
View attachment 63146View attachment 63147View attachment 63148
Thanks SH! Can you post a link to the pad you purchased?

There’s a couple other versions but to me this one makes the most sense.
I have one of those and I agree it’s really comfortable when carrying the tripod and long lens long distances with the tripod legs all pulled together.

When I’m actually working wildlife subjects and maneuvering for backgrounds, perspective and the like I prefer padded legs and a padded piece that cradles my shoulder.

Basically, I bend my knees position my shoulder under the cradle strap and stand up leaving the legs splayed out so I can easily and quickly bend my knees and gently set everything down ready to shoot.

I find this lets me reposition and wildlife seems more tolerant of this than picking everything up with my hands and putting it on my shoulder.

Which pad I put on depends on how far I think I’ll hike with the tripod and gear on my shoulder vs maneuvering while working subjects that aren’t too far from the car.

YMMV

I have tried a pad with my tripods and heavy lenses (14 lb load with 600mm f/4 and camera) and found it difficult to safely move quickly in irregular or woody terrain. I switched to taking the lens and camera off the tripod and using the Kirk Photo SS-1 security strap to carry the load with my shoulder and then to grap my tripod, leaving the legs fully extended, and carrying it with one hand while my other hand kept the 600mm and camera held at hip level by the Kirk strap, from swinging.

The Kirk SS-1 strap used a Arca-Swiss type clamp and to securely attaches to and lens foot in seconds and zero chance of the connection failing and damaging a camera or a lens.
B&H sells it for $80.

I was. hoping that Lenscoat might have a monopod solution but they don't, according to their website. Has anyone found a similar solution for a monopod when using a heavy lens?

I have the tripod pad from Lenscoat. For monopod use, I can carry a Z9 plus a 500F4G using a backpack as a rest. The ThinkTank Glass Limo on my back acts as a support for the lens which is mounted on the monopod via a Wimberley Monogimbal. I can comfortably carry the set up long distances without returning the set up to the bag. Thats the most comfortable and simplest set up I have found for monopod. If I leave the bag in the car, carrying the lens plus monopod is nowhere near as easy.

You’re welcome. You can also buy directly from Lens coat. Even carrying the 600 mm prime with it it’s just a night and day difference from the wraparound pads I had before. It’s well worth the cost in my opinion.
Are the Legs wraps for the tripod padded enough to maybe use on a monopod?

I’ve tried both of those setups as well as others and this pad by far has been the most comfortable. I think it was like $30 or so.
I have the same one, I bought it few years ago when I saw Steve, in one of his videos using it. It is really help a lot and it is not expensive. It is always on my tripod

I have the same one, I bought it few years ago when I saw Steve, in one of his videos using it. It is really help a lot and it is not expensive. It is always on my tripod
Yes, I agree and I’ve had it on every time I’ve been out over the last few weeks. It’s a super handy item and much better than the leg wraps in all regards as far as I’m concerned.

I have tried a pad with my tripods and heavy lenses (14 lb load with 600mm f/4 and camera) and found it difficult to safely move quickly in irregular or woody terrain. I switched to taking the lens and camera off the tripod and using the Kirk Photo SS-1 security strap to carry the load with my shoulder and then to grap my tripod, leaving the legs fully extended, and carrying it with one hand while my other hand kept the 600mm and camera held at hip level by the Kirk strap, from swinging.

The Kirk SS-1 strap used a Arca-Swiss type clamp and to securely attaches to and lens foot in seconds and zero chance of the connection failing and damaging a camera or a lens.
B&H sells it for $80.
I found the whole thread discussion interesting but your post re: the Kirk SS-1 caught my eye.

I use a Black Rapid strap with a Whimberly C-12 AS clamp on it to carry my (now ~ was Canon) Olympus gear.

Granted the handhold holdable & IBIS of the gear rarely needs a tripod but there are times when I wished I had my monopod with me. However it is a bit of a PITA to carry the monopod just for the 'need it now ' situations.

I perceive that using the Kirk SS-1 would be way more useful (when required) to have the convenience of the BR "like" strap usage and the monopod ready at hand. NB I have a Sirui tilt head on the pod with its AS clamp.

Edit~ though I need to put a soft sleeve on the monopod to rest the combo on my shoulder as needed:)

View attachment 63146View attachment 63147View attachment 63148
I didn't think about posting it but I bought a solid black one from Amazon about 4 years ago for about $12. It really helps.

Back