Tripod upgrade for 600mm f/4?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

To gain more working height I replaced my RSS TVC-34L tripod legs with the Feisol CT-3472 ones where I have the option of using their Center Column Kit to increase the working height by more than 6 inches. As it is an add-on center column it has a large diameter and is much more rigid than the tripods with a center column. I have had the Feisol with the legs fully extended and the center column raised to add 6 more inches of height and with a gimbal head for a combined working height of 74 inches that is rock solid with a 12 lb camera and lens load.

The Feisol also has a separate flat plate or a quick level base and so I get 3 tripods for the price of one. It also comes with an excellent carry case unlike the tripods I have had from RSS or Gitzo where all I got was a cardboard box.

To gain more working height I replaced my RSS TVC-34L tripod legs with the Feisol CT-3472 ones where I have the option of using their Center Column Kit to increase the working height by more than 6 inches. As it is an add-on center column it has a large diameter and is much more rigid than the tripods with a center column. I have had the Feisol with the legs fully extended and the center column raised to add 6 more inches of height and with a gimbal head for a combined working height of 74 inches that is rock solid with a 12 lb camera and lens load.

The Feisol also has a separate flat plate or a quick level base and so I get 3 tripods for the price of one. It also comes with an excellent carry case unlike the tripods I have had from RSS or Gitzo where all I got was a cardboard box.
I second the recommendation to explore Feisol. I've used one for 10 years and it is excellent. I do not have/use the center column.

I second the recommendation to explore Feisol. I've used one for 10 years and it is excellent. I do not have/use the center column.
I avoid having/using a tripod center column. On one of my old tripods that had a center column, I ended up cutting the center column down to enable me to get the camera as low to the ground as I could. I also ended up removing the two lower leg sections and only used that tripod for low shots. I lost it when I left it in a hotel van while on vacation. The biggest loss was the head.

I just looked at the Artcise tripod line and they are good quality 10x carbon fiber legs and supports 88lbs.
I found a used CS90c on Adorama for only $193.00. I use it with my D4s and 600mm F:4gVR.A replacement Gitzo 3542 would over $1404.00 but be only 6x CF.

I just decided and ordered a Gitzo 4 series L monopod and a mh100 Wimberley head. Thank you for all of your input :) (y)

Can anybody also help me concerning a new foot for my 600 mm f/4 ED lens and the correct plate for the monopod? There are so many types to choose from...

Thank you in advance.

I use a Gitzo 3 series but I don't have the super heavy primes, I got an extra tall one (I am 6-3) which adds somewhat to the weight. I also use the Winberly gimbal head.

The Gitzo has been a steady and reliable tripod. The only problem I have with it is if I am carrying it with the legs extended it becomes cumbersome to carry because the legs tend to move inside each other (this tripod does not have a center columm).

I have trouble lugging the tripod, gimbal, 800mm pf and a backpack for more than two miles.

I am working on a possible solution that may involve a custom backpack.

I know from experience in backpacking that it is possible to come up with a pack that is properly designed to carry heavy weight in comfort. The bag needs to transfer substantially all weight to the hips and off the upper back. Usually this means a rigid frame inside the pack as well as a good weight suspension system. My envisaged pack would also include a means to attach a fully extended tripod on the back for carrying keeping all weight off the arms and shoulders and on the hips.

I have carried a single long lens with a monopod. It is certainly easier but the monopod is nowhere comparable in stability to a good tripod and gimbal head.

I just decided and ordered a Gitzo 4 series L monopod and a mh100 Wimberley head. Thank you for all of your input :) (y)

Can anybody also help me concerning a new foot for my 600 mm f/4 ED lens and the correct plate for the monopod? There are so many types to choose from...

Thank you in advance.
Assuming you mean the 600mm f/4 G ED-IF, this one from Hejnar with its integrated Arca Swiss plate is nice

Recommend buying from a place where returns are easy to do like with BH Photo. Prior to buying a Feisol I had to return 4 tripods that were not up to their specifications. I would press down as hard as I could with the legs fully extended and look for any leg flexing. I would also check for any flexing of the spider where the legs are attached as this can make a big difference with a large heavy lens mounted.

One of the tripods I returned was a Gitzo 3 series tripod that I found had a great defect with the engineers deciding to use cast pot metal for the leg clamps. When one breaks the tripod is down and a warranty with Gitzo has no value in the USA. I have bought and still own a Gitzo tripod but their quality has decreased a great deal in recent years.

I don't worry much about the weight of the tripod when I am hauling a backpack and heavy lens and camera and other gear in the field. An extra pound or two has no impact on my ability to move around. As I age though I am increasingly aware of my need to do free weight lifting to stay in shape.

Recommend buying from a place where returns are easy to do like with BH Photo. Prior to buying a Feisol I had to return 4 tripods that were not up to their specifications. I would press down as hard as I could with the legs fully extended and look for any leg flexing. I would also check for any flexing of the spider where the legs are attached as this can make a big difference with a large heavy lens mounted.

One of the tripods I returned was a Gitzo 3 series tripod that I found had a great defect with the engineers deciding to use cast pot metal for the leg clamps. When one breaks the tripod is down and a warranty with Gitzo has no value in the USA. I have bought and still own a Gitzo tripod but their quality has decreased a great deal in recent years.

I don't worry much about the weight of the tripod when I am hauling a backpack and heavy lens and camera and other gear in the field. An extra pound or two has no impact on my ability to move around. As I age though I am increasingly aware of my need to do free weight lifting to stay in shape.
Normally I would find these comments about Gitzo quality a bit strong, but they mirror my experience. I've experienced a fractured leg due to very thin leg castings, a hub that required a third party part to correct a design defect that allowed the tripod head and baseplate to fall out without notice, and other minor issues with my Gitzo 3 series. As mentioned, Gitzo support was poor other than offering a trade toward a new tripod. I found the replacement part in the UK. The bottom leg section of the Gitzo Long 4 section tripods are very thin - to the point where I saw noticeable flexing with my 600mm f/4 when legs were full extended for birds in flight. I replaced my Series 3 Gitzo with a Series 3 RRS tripod suitable for the largest camera lenses. RRS tripods use high quality machined components and service is first rate if needed. RRS also holds more than a dozen patents for tripods and components.

Normally I would find these comments about Gitzo quality a bit strong, but they mirror my experience. I've experienced a fractured leg due to very thin leg castings, a hub that required a third party part to correct a design defect that allowed the tripod head and baseplate to fall out without notice, and other minor issues with my Gitzo 3 series. As mentioned, Gitzo support was poor other than offering a trade toward a new tripod. I found the replacement part in the UK. The bottom leg section of the Gitzo Long 4 section tripods are very thin - to the point where I saw noticeable flexing with my 600mm f/4 when legs were full extended for birds in flight. I replaced my Series 3 Gitzo with a Series 3 RRS tripod suitable for the largest camera lenses. RRS tripods use high quality machined components and service is first rate if needed. RRS also holds more than a dozen patents for tripods and components.
Then I can only hope the 4 Series I just ordered is better 😓

My Gitzo 3541 finally failed with one of the legs splintering and a bushing thatbecame jambed in so hard I can't remove it. Besides the bushings are not available, A replacement Gitzo is the 3542 which retails at $1404.00. I said not in this lifetime. During my research I found Artcise AS90c. It has 10x cf legs with each leg more than 1" in dia. Leg locks are dust free and only cost $375 or so. I found it on Adorama's used site for only $193.00 and I grabbed it up right away. I use it almost daily with my 600mm F:4gVR and D4s. I really noticed a difference in stablity between the Gitzo and Artcise AS90C.

Thank you in advance.

You went monopod instead of the tripod? Interesting. Wimberley head is super, I have a couple.
I would not buy a Gitzo anything as their service totally sucks, if you have a concern you are out of luck with that company.

Ive relied on Gitzo tripods/monopods for the last 15 years and never an issue. However proper care and maintenance must be taken. I know there's other tripods out there like Benro & Feisol just to name a few that are probably just as good.

Ive relied on Gitzo tripods/monopods for the last 15 years and never an issue. However proper care and maintenance must be taken. I know there's other tripods out there like Benro & Feisol just to name a few that are probably just as good.

Gitzo is a sister brand to Manfrotto and are made on the same production lines in Italy, China and Vietnam. Both brands suffered a decline in quality. Service was never a strength.

Last edited:
Gitzo is a sister brand to Manfrotto and are made on the same production lines in Italy, China and Vietnam. Both brands suffered a decline in quality. Service was never a st
Have not bought a tripod in over 10 years, so Ive must have bought mine before the decline in quality. If I do need to replace a tripod I will look into other brands it's always nice to shop around.

Have not bought a tripod in over 10 years, so Ive must have bought mine before the decline in quality.
Same here. My older Gitzos and Manfrottos are great. But now I switched to RRS as long as they make it. Sachtler, btw, still makes excellent products and is also owned by the same company. I think they just "downgraded" Gitzo and Manfrotto.

I recall when Les Bogan was selling Manfrotto and calling them Bogan. Great product and he stood behind them, and sit on the big 3040. Gitzo make good tripods, but don't stand behind and totally ignore if a concern appears. RRS is 100% involved with the end user.

I recall when Les Bogan was selling Manfrotto and calling them Bogan. Great product and he stood behind them, and sit on the big 3040. Gitzo make good tripods, but don't stand behind and totally ignore if a concern appears. RRS is 100% involved with the end user.

Good to know ! Fortunately my Gitzo didn't cause any problems yet.

Promedia gear, rrs, gitzo, a little bit below is leofoto. Pick a size you like with ~25 kg load and a gimbal. I would say 4 sections max with at least 32mm tubes. 40mm.are very sturdy and thick. I would aim for max. 2,5kg tripod. I prefere the very tall tripods, no matter the user height - for certain jobs you need a very high tripod (woodpeckers etc). For ground work ... actually its better to get a groundpod.

If money is an objection there are several cheaper brands offering a very solid platform. Benro, induro, sirui, robus.

I replaced my RRS TVC34L tripod with a Feisol CT-3472 tripod and got a much better designed tripod. The RRS was too long for overseas travel unless put in checked luggage which I avoid doing as I want all my critical photo gear in the cabin with me.

The Feisol durability was equal to that of the RRS tripod but the Feisol provided for quick changes of the base to a quick leveling one in seconds or adding the Feisol center column kit. With the kit installed (which takes seconds) I could gain 7 inches of working height and with my 11 lb 600mm f/4 lens and camera mounted on a 3 lb Gitzo gimbal and the legs fully extended the support was rock solid. With animals up in the trees I need 6 more inches of working height from the tripod. The Feisol collapses down to 22 inches in length and so fits neatly crossways inside the overhead bins on most aircraft. As a bonus the Feisol tripods come with excellent carry cases (as to the Robus tripods) and that saves me the $100 cost for a travel case.

Back