Tripod upgrade for 600mm f/4?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I finally decided, ordered and received a new Gitzo GM4552L Monopod, a Tomahawk ProMediaGear GT2 Head and a Leofoto Arca Swiss foot for my 600 mm f/4. All seems very sturdy, light weight and very well made. I will report as soon as I have more field experience.

I have avoided tripods with center columns over the years but with the Feisol tripods the situation is completely different. Not having a geared column to raise and lower the head the column is larger in diameter and when it is locked in position it is completely rigid. I can gain 6 inches of working height with no loss in stability for the lens and camera.

What is great with the Feisol tripod is that I can remove the center column kit in less than 60 seconds and install a flat plate or a quick level adapter. I get 3 tripods for two-thirds the cost of a Gitzo or RRS single function tripod. For travel I can put the center column adapter in my checked bag and so the tripod is less that 22 inches in length and easily fits in the overhead bin of most aircraft.

I also like that Feisol customer support is based in Florida and can be reached by phone. People with Gitzo tripods have reported great difficulty in communicating with Gitzo for service or parts for their tripods. I am not a fan of RRS after its owner decided to move his company to an exclusive area in Salt Lake City and leave behind the employees in California who had been critical to building the business.

Back