TSA and cameras

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It has been a long time since I've flown and I have flying with a larger set of cameras. I have read that I should disconnect the lenses from the cameras. Is there anything else I need to know? I'll also be carrying 7 additional camera batteries. Is that going to be a problem?
I have a Pelican case that is within guidelines for carry on.

The last several times that I have flown with photo gear TSA has told me I don't have to remove the lenses from cameras. (they used to) As for batteries, I travel with six camera batteries. I leave them in my main camera bag without any problems. (I do have the plastic covers over the battery contacts).

Basically expect that it will be shunted aside and swabbed for explosives. It hasn’t happened every time but often enough for me. I don’t think they really care about if the camera is attached to the lens or not - at least the agents I’ve experienced. That’s more about keeping the equipment from being damaged. I’ve only had each item swabbed and haven’t been asked to prove it works.

My last trip had me taking 2 camera bodies, 2 big lenses, numerous accessories/batteries, etc in a thinktank airport advantage. They swabbed the cameras and lenses and that was it. Next month I’ll just be taking 1 camera, 1 big and 1 small lens and a few accessories in a shoulder bag. I’m curious if that will change anything.

Back