Turkey Vulture photo bombs Peregrine Falcon with kill

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

FastGlassGuy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
This photo is not a composite or double exposure. I was shooting the Peregrine Falcon with its kill on the ground from around 25-30 feet away, when I notice this Turkey Vulture on the ground and moving behind the falcon (no doubt hoping for an opportunity to get at the kill).

I have several shots of the Turkey Vulture moving from right to left behind the falcon (about 10 feet behind the falcon). This one is the one where they all lined up for the shot.

My question is do you think the Turkey Vulture is a distraction, an enhancement or neutral to the composition of this picture? Personally, I like the composition, but just interested in what other photographers think about the composition and the picture in general. Thanks, Ken
FALCON ON KILL VULTURE WALKS BY _DSC9034.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

This photo is not a composite or double exposure. I was shooting the Peregrine Falcon with its kill on the ground from around 25-30 feet away, when I notice this Turkey Vulture on the ground and moving behind the falcon (no doubt hoping for an opportunity to get at the kill).

I have several shots of the Turkey Vulture moving from right to left behind the falcon (about 10 feet behind the falcon). This one is the one where they all lined up for the shot.

My question is do you think the Turkey Vulture is a distraction, an enhancement or neutral to the composition of this picture? Personally, I like the composition, but just interested in what other photographers think about the composition and the picture in general. Thanks, Ken View attachment 95787
Fascinating shot. Nice capture. My only question is in looking at the sun’s direction wondering why is the Turkey Vulture so dark. I do realize it’s not likely in your in-focus depth of field. Anyway, great shot.

I really like it! Wildlife images with a story the viewer can interpret are always more interesting than static pictures. Yup, the vulture is just waiting to steal the peregrine’s meal.

There's a story in that photograph; in many ways that makes it better than a mere portrait of a falcon with its prey. I have many portraits of peregrines, but nothing like that one.
Thanks. It was an interesting day. My wife and I stayed with this falcon for a couple of hours. There were at least 4-5 Turkey Vultures in the vicinity. We got fairly close to the falcon. It was not real excited to see us (but it was not too stressed out - I think) but it did not want to leave the kill. It was just a fortuitous alignment of elements.

Fascinating shot. Nice capture. My only question is in looking at the sun’s direction wondering why is the Turkey Vulture so dark. I do realize it’s not likely in your in-focus depth of field. Anyway, great shot.
I don't know for sure. I was trying to expose for the falcon, and the vulture is considerably darker than the falcon. It was definitely a fairly shallow depth of field. I was using a 300mm f4 prime with a 1.4 teleconverter, on D500 so with the crop and the tele it was 630mm effective focal length at 5.6.

That is an amazing sighting and lined up so well. The harsh sun is problematic, but that is obviously beyond your control. Have to take the photos when they present themselves!

Back