If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great-Blue-Heron-at-the-Tidal-Pool.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Great Blue Heron near the tidal pool at the south end of Lido Beach, about 15 minutes after sunrise.

Black-Skimmer-Early-Evening.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Black Skimmer skimming the water in the bay between Lido Beach and Siesta Key, about an hour before sunset.

This year the Skimmer colony moved all the way down to the south end of Lido Beach, in the same general area as the Least Tern colony. Because of the close proximity of the two colonies, a huge area has been roped off by the Audobon Society in an effort to protect both nesting areas. When the colony was on the north end, the Skimmers would come down to the water in large numbers and bath/feed/etc., taking turns watching the nests. This year, it's rarer to see them skimming near the colony or bathing in the surf, at least in any number. The Least Tern are particularly challenging; approximately 9" long and very quick, they're the smallest tern in North America. More to come.

Nice set! Great skimmer capture. Last year there was a colony on North Beach at Ft De Soto. Same colony perhaps? I don't see them there this year.

Nice set! Great skimmer capture. Last year there was a colony on North Beach at Ft De Soto. Same colony perhaps? I don't see them there this year.
Thank you, Kirk. I didn’t make it up to Fort DeSoto while I was down there, but I do know that this colony has been on Lido Beach for several years, but usually up on the north end. One of the Audubon volunteers shared that it was because of issues with feral cats and crows further north.