If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

ajrmd

It's been slim pickings at Conowingo probably because of the warm weather. The Z8 was struggling a bit and seemed to loose focus no matter what AF mode I was using today on some strikes and against trees. Nonetheless, I managed to come home with some really nice shots. These are two of my favorite "look backs" from today.

Eagle lookback001-topaz-sharpen.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Eagle lookback002-topaz-sharpen.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Hi Rick, didn’t realize you were there. Yes, this was part of the extended drop series and I’ve only gone through a few of the shots and zeroed in on these. Were you shooting a z9? If so, how did it perform through the series? I’m flummoxed to understand why The z8 held the af as the eagle circled around and then banked in for the dive, lost af during the strike and reacquired it after a few frames. A great day all around even though there were more photographers than there were eagles.

Couple of nice images. I used to think it was a rare/random occurrence when the birds look down at their catch. Now with higher fps realize they do it all the time.

... I’m flummoxed to understand why The z8 held the af as the eagle circled around and then banked in for the dive, lost af during the strike and reacquired it after a few frames...
What focus area were you using?

It's been slim pickings at Conowingo probably because of the warm weather. The Z8 was struggling a bit and seemed to loose focus no matter what AF mode I was using today on some strikes and against trees. Nonetheless, I managed to come home with some really nice shots. These are two of my favorite "look backs" from today.

View attachment 74424View attachment 74425
Excellent shots! Well done👍👍👍

Hi Rick, didn’t realize you were there. Yes, this was part of the extended drop series and I’ve only gone through a few of the shots and zeroed in on these. Were you shooting a z9? If so, how did it perform through the series? I’m flummoxed to understand why The z8 held the af as the eagle circled around and then banked in for the dive, lost af during the strike and reacquired it after a few frames. A great day all around even though there were more photographers than there were eagles.
No, I'm still a DSLR holdout, shooting a D850. I was sitting in back on the wall close to the guy on the electric scooter. Several friends were shooting Z9s but haven't seen most of their pics yet, though did see one and it was pinpoint accurate. It's my understanding that the 4.10 FW update made a big difference with the Z9 and speculation that a similar one will be available for the Z8, possibly in the Spring. One friend has and uses both. I've never heard him mention losing focus on a series like this with his Z8 though.

Couple of nice images. I used to think it was a rare/random occurrence when the birds look down at their catch. Now with higher fps realize they do it all the time.

What focus area were you using?
Wide area large, small, 3D. No mode seemed superior and the z8 tended to lose focus when the birds were near the dam, trees, or water. Nonetheless, when performing well, it nailed the focus or recovered quickly when it lost lost capture.

When I was there, V3 was fresh and buggy, so I reverted to 2.10.
I had the same struggle issues. Wide area small and panning along with the 800pf worked best. Still I was very frustrated. I almost wanted to change to the A1… I tried group medium, and used a Z9 like a D850 for eagles in flight. What a shame…

I’m not going back to Conowingo before I can confirm the Z9 can track an erratic diving Eagle at that location… and the Z8 gets Bird AF.
The 800 & 600pf will have to wait it out 😀

When I was there, V3 was fresh and buggy, so I reverted to 2.10.
I had the same struggle issues. Wide area small and panning along with the 800pf worked best. Still I was very frustrated. I almost wanted to change to the A1… I tried group medium, and used a Z9 like a D850 for eagles in flight. What a shame…

I’m not going back to Conowingo before I can confirm the Z9 can track an erratic diving Eagle at that location… and the Z8 gets Bird AF.
The 800 & 600pf will have to wait it out 😀
Several friends with the 4.10 update are thrilled with it out there. I still haven't made the jump, so just going by what they say.

Several friends with the 4.10 update are thrilled with it out there. I still haven't made the jump, so just going by what they say.
Thats a start…
Are one of those friends on this forum?

Are you planning to replace your D850-500pf necklace with a Z8/9 600pf?

RockviilleBob is, but I'm not sure if he has the update. He was supposed to come down this coming Monday, but circumstances changed so he won't make it. I don't think the others are.

I plan to keep my D850-500pf for the time being. I'm just too pleased with the combo to change it.