Unable to playback video on Z9

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,
I'm trying to learn how to shoot bird videos, for the first time on my Z9. I've found several videos on which video settings to use, but I'm unable to playback the videos on the Z9. The camera gives me the message "Cannot zoom in on this picture". I see the length of the video but not the play arrow. I've searched the internet with no luck on resolving this issue.

FYI: I The video quality is N-Raw set to high
I'm able to play the videos in Quick Time Player app
Frame size: 3840 x 2160; 120p
Video File Type: H.265 10bit (MOV) SDR

Any advice is appreciated,
Elizabeth Bassirian

Hello,
I'm trying to learn how to shoot bird videos, for the first time on my Z9. I've found several videos on which video settings to use, but I'm unable to playback the videos on the Z9. The camera gives me the message "Cannot zoom in on this picture". I see the length of the video but not the play arrow. I've searched the internet with no luck on resolving this issue.

FYI: I The video quality is N-Raw set to high
I'm able to play the videos in Quick Time Player app
Frame size: 3840 x 2160; 120p
Video File Type: H.265 10bit (MOV) SDR

Any advice is appreciated,
Elizabeth Bassirian
I replicated your settings and warning message by pressing the + (zoom) button. It plays back for me when I follow these steps: use the playback button, make sure the first frame shows on the screen, hit OK (center of wheel). You can toggle the Display button by pressing it and that will bring the large arrow to the center of the screen at which point you can touch it to start the replay. The only way I could activate that warning message was by pressing the zoom (+) button.

As an aside, the settings you picked will produce giant files that can only be edited at this point by Davinci, I believe. You're also cropping the sensor. N-Log will give you near-identical dynamic range in a smaller, easier to edit file. N-Log also opens up the ability to use the new Nikon/RED LUTs. Also, unless you plan to display the final footage as slow-motion, the 120p is not a good choice, and I'd stick with 24, 25 or 30p. Finally, make sure you set your ISO to native (800) and shutter speed to twice the frame rate.

Happy shooting and welcome to the forum!

I replicated your settings and warning message by pressing the + (zoom) button. It plays back for me when I follow these steps: use the playback button, make sure the first frame shows on the screen, hit OK (center of wheel). You can toggle the Display button by pressing it and that will bring the large arrow to the center of the screen at which point you can touch it to start the replay. The only way I could activate that warning message was by pressing the zoom (+) button.

As an aside, the settings you picked will produce giant files that can only be edited at this point by Davinci, I believe. You're also cropping the sensor. N-Log will give you near-identical dynamic range in a smaller, easier to edit file. N-Log also opens up the ability to use the new Nikon/RED LUTs. Also, unless you plan to display the final footage as slow-motion, the 120p is not a good choice, and I'd stick with 24, 25 or 30p. Finally, make sure you set your ISO to native (800) and shutter speed to twice the frame rate.

Happy shooting and welcome to the forum!

elp. I didn't realize
Happy shooting and welcome to the forum!h
Thank you for the help. I didn't realize the zoom + button needed to be pressed to see the play button. I'm able to play the video in-camera now. If I try N-log, which video software can I use besides Davinci?

Thank you for the help. I didn't realize the zoom + button needed to be pressed to see the play button. I'm able to play the video in-camera now. If I try N-log, which video software can I use besides Davinci?
Great. But you don't need to press it, that might trigger the error notification. Everything edits N-Log and I use both Premiere Pro and Davinci. You can download a cube file (LUT) directly from Nikon to convert from Nlog to 709 or do it manually (increase contrast, saturation, exposure and play with white balance).

Back