Under Seat (Airplane) Camera Backpack

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DownToThis

Supporting Member
Marketplace
There's been a lot of discussion about various camera backpacks but I didn't seen anything specifically about camera backpacks that could fit under an airline seat. I understand this is has a lot of variables (airline, internationa/US, class of ticket) but I wanted to share my experience. I had a lowepro slingshot 302 AW that was a good size and fit some fairly long lenses (Nikon 200-500 and the 400 4.5 Z) while still fitting under an airline seat. But it wasnt comfortable (the sling part) and didn't have much space for non-camera equipment (particularly laptops).

I have a Shimoda Action X50 that I really like. I did buy the Plus strap (for extra padding) but found it overall to be a great backpack. I also liked that when I bought my 800mm Z lens I emailed their customer service to see the best way to fit it into the x50 and they were prompt and helpful with their reply (the Large DSLR core unit V3 is the answer). It fits in an overhead compartment but not under an airline seat. So when they announced a kickstarter for their urban explore series I signed up (https://shimodadesigns.com/shimoda-urban-explore/).

I received the backpack on 2/28 and I was going on a trip (non-photography oriented) the next day. It was good timing so I decided to take it a long. Below is a picture of the 25L anthracite with a Z9, 24-120, sigma 35 1.4 (with FTZ), and some accessories.
20240229_111007.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The Z-9 on the bottom part of the core unit did stick out and dig into my back a bit so I moved it to the top which helped. There is nice padding though so I did not feel like it was going to be a real problem or damage the camera or lenses. I also liked that there are two laptop compartments so rather than place my laptop on the black flap I was able to stick it securely on the front compartment. This also allowed for more padding and space against my back. I purchased a peak design capture clip and it has a seperate component for attaching that onto the shoulder strap. The Z9 is clunky on the capture clip but that's a different story...

In terms of under seat space it was a bit tight. I flew frontier on the way there and spirit on the way back which probably are not known for their generous leg room but the backpack fit securely. I did not get any looks from the flight attendents or other passengers and you can see what it looked like below

20240229_152214.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

So overall I was really happy with the Urban Explore and the 25L size is a good balance between size and practicality. The top compartment has plenty of space as well. It was comfortable to wear and has a lot of components built in that shows the thought Shimoda put into the design.

If others have experiences with camera backpacks that can fit under and airline seat I'd be interested in hearing about them.

I am finding more frequently that the space under the seat in front of me has been modified to house electronics and such and decreases the height under the seat by 3" or more. So that space is getting quite thin.

I always put my camera back pack in the over head since it is thicker. My computer bag (which may contain another body or lens) goes under the seat in front of me.

Mindshift Backlight 18l. Have fit it under the seat on both domestic and international flights. Works well as day hiking pack (10 to 12 miles), due to good shoulder straps and waist belt. High quality zippers, and I like the opening in back. Have also worn it snowshoeing.

Easily fits something like a D500 with 500 pf, with room for another lens. For air travel I have stuffed it with D500 + D7500 + 500pf + 16-80 + 1.4 teleconverter. Plus laptop and ipad. And water bottle (nice bottle/tripod/misc holders on sides). And snacks. Packed like that it is rather heavy to haul around the airport, but everything fit in it and then under the seat.

Really good backpack for my needs. I keep it "loaded" with D500 + 500 pf and accessories, then just grab it to head for a birding expedition.

I like ThinkTank stuff, but it looks like that backpack lacks a sturdy waist belt. Is that correct? If so, it's not as strong a choice for hiking around. I use the Mindshift backpack above as both airplane transport for the gear and also while hiking.
No waist belt. I use it for transport only. I have ThinkTank holsters and BlackRapid sling for hiking.

No waist belt. I use it for transport only. I have ThinkTank holsters and BlackRapid sling for hiking.
I use the BlackRapid strap for walking around birding, but for actual hiking or snowshoeing with a camera around, I like having a backpack and the Mindshift can serve that purpose. I originally bought it mostly as airplane transport, but have used it a lot hiking since.

When hiking through airports, I have found a solid wait belt invaluable for getting the weight on my hips/legs. I have 3 ThinkTank bags for shooting and travel. Each bag has a solid waist belt.

Airport Accelerator (can handle my 600mm TC and more)
Airport Computer (medium size when not taking the 600mm)
Street Walker Pro (gear for architecture and general travel)

Interesting question to be sure and though I haven't tried a series of backpacks, the under seat arrangements are so variable between equipment and even in the same cabin that it is anyone's guess as to what will fit. I've had aisle seats where there is some electronic or other box blocking 1/2 of the under seat area whereas one row before of after, the impediment doesn't exist. Under a "normal" coach seat on a typical commercial jet (Boeing, Airbus, not an Embraeer, etc.) I usually can fit my BL 36L without issues.

I don't think they make it anymore, but my Think Tank Urban Disguise 60 has been perfect for air travel. It holds my laptop, a body with a 100-400 lens and the hood reversed, with spaces on either side that hold shorter lenses or teleconverters or another body, and has pockets for all my batteries and memory cards and fits under the seat of every plane I've ever been on.

One needs to see which bags are still in production. Two that I have used, the Gura Gear Bataflae 18L and the Nagano 16L have been discontinued. The Nagano 12L is available but it is too tall to qualify.

Important to realize that if one has an aisle seat on many aircraft the seat support pillar will reduce the amount of space under the seat in front considerably. Paying to insure early boarding is important so if there is not enough space under the seat in front then one can put the bag in the overhead bin before that space is no longer available.

I've traveled with a K&F Concept 20L bag for about a year. Although different airlines have varying under seat dimensions, it's fit under JetBlue and American Airlines seats. It fits my Z9 with 100-400 attached and a second lens (500 PF or 180-600). Very reasonably priced.

One needs to see which bags are still in production. Two that I have used, the Gura Gear Bataflae 18L and the Nagano 16L have been discontinued. The Nagano 12L is available but it is too tall to qualify.

Important to realize that if one has an aisle seat on many aircraft the seat support pillar will reduce the amount of space under the seat in front considerably. Paying to insure early boarding is important so if there is not enough space under the seat in front then one can put the bag in the overhead bin before that space is no longer available.
Gura Gear now makes a 16, 18, 22 and a 30 - some have lap top sleeves. These are the ones that Steve and others like. I recently bought a 22L and a 30L to see which fit better. I have a D500/Z8, a 16-80, a 70-200 f2.8, a 80-400 and a 500pf. I purchased 30L (sent 22L back) as I can have a long lens on each body, the other 2 lenses and more “stuff”! They have the same “butterfly” deign as the betaflae 32L. Their web site provides a lot of info, including a video /pack layout/dimensions and design features.

I use a Think Tank Airport Commuter and have no trouble fitting under the small regional jets to the jumbo jets. I also just got a GuraGear Kiboko 30L for an Africa trip this year. Made this choice due to recommendations from the forum.

I regularly travel with my LowePro ProTactic 350 AW and it fits neatly under the seat. I fly mostly United metal (737 - 767 - 777 - 787), but also Copa and Avianca when heading south.

For under seat I use a messenger type bag. Can usually fit a body and a couple of lenses pretty easily (plus laptop and other stuff).

I use a hard backpack, the Lowepro Pro Tactic 450 AW II. It's dimensions are 1 inch shorter on all 3 sides (HxLxD) for storing in the overhead. My regular backpack holds my clothes and hygiene items. That can crush down to easily fit under the seat. If you need more space, I've not packed underwear and socks and just bought them when i get to my destination.

Most airline seats only have 10 inches of clearance and personally I don't like using a soft backpack that doesn't offer as much protection

Back