Underwater Moments

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JAS

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Not all of one's "best" photographs are spectularly composed, or lit or processed. What they do for the person who snapped the shot is trigger a memory that is special. These two photos were taken in poor visibility with little overhead sunlight to brighten the water column. When I look at the shots, I smile and feel just like I did when I hit the shutter.

The Whale shark was a juvenile, only 15-16 feet long but, at closest, I was within 5 feet. The Manta was also modest - about 9-10 feet across. The manta encounter lasted only one minute (a friend has a viseo that is in my files too). Both photos taken with Nikon1 J3 in a WP-N2 housing with the 10-30mm f/3.5-5.6 lens. The shots are full of particulate, not very well lit and a bit noisy. What they were, in person, was breathtaking.
MR-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

WS-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I know that feeling. I have some digital images of photos I took way back in the 70's with my very first camera, a Yashika. The quality is crap, but the memories are vivid.

As a matter of interest, have you tried doing some PP'ing with them? I think you will find you can drag a bit of life back into those images.

I know that feeling. I have some digital images of photos I took way back in the 70's with my very first camera, a Yashika. The quality is crap, but the memories are vivid.

As a matter of interest, have you tried doing some PP'ing with them? I think you will find you can drag a bit of life back into those images.
These images are heavily post-processed in LR/PS with DxO Prime Noise. This is a s good as I could get them, though I should try again to see if some of the more recent feature improvements would help me get to a better result.

These images are heavily post-processed in LR/PS with DxO Prime Noise. This is a s good as I could get them, though I should try again to see if some of the more recent feature improvements would help me get to a better result.
"Emotion or feeling is really the only thing about pictures I find interesting. Beyond that it is just a trick.” — Christopher Anderson
There is one thing the photograph must contain – the humanity of the moment.” – Robert Frank
“Photography is a way of feeling, of touching, of loving. What you have caught on film is captured forever… It remembers little things, long after you have forgotten everything.” – Aaron Siskind

These images are heavily post-processed in LR/PS with DxO Prime Noise. This is a s good as I could get them,

What we need here is a way to post copies of original images. I reckon it would be fun to see how other people interpret and PP our images and it would be a good learning source for many. Anyone interested in this idea? I use Adobe, Dropbox and OneDrive for sharing images.

Back